Help needed for the less technically inclined!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by HughesP, Jun 16, 2019.

1. alex mansman

alex mansman Member

Since you just need a good, clean base tone and intend to use analog pedals just get one of the Quilter head or even combo options. They sound great, nice warm tube amp sounds IMO you couldn't tell them apart if you spent all day trying. They also all come with a speaker simulated XLR out. Other than that treat it like any other clean fender amp. Done. No need to learn all the modeling stuff in a short span of time.

EDIT: did I mention you get to avoid the IR rabbit hole? That alone can eat hours before you settle on something only to second guess everything all over again and repeat the process till your brain explodes.

Fireproof likes this.
  2. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

+1 on this. I also have a Quilter...another great option and the DI is excellent. (Although, I'd still probably go with the Amp1).
    The difference? The Quilter does better at the Fender tones and the Amp1 does better at the Marshall tones. Both amps will kinda get close to the other tones...close enough that it should work for you.

3. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

One last suggestion and I will hold my peace;) Since you are a member, put up a sos on guitarscanada.com and maybe some good-hearted soul who lives in the area will help bail you out by lending, maybe for a consideration, an amp for the occasion. Again, good luck.

4. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

So I'm basically a pedals into Fender guy - musically your styles sound similar.

The digital/modeling stuff can easily replace your amp for running direct. But it's hard to adapt to hearing yourself monitored thru floor wedges, etc. If you put your amp in an isolation box (or off stage) it's much more like using a modeler. Hard to get used to but it's workable when there is a good PA and techs.

I use the Stomp as a utility tool. It replaces reverb/tremolo/delay/tuner at the end of my traditional board. But it's always available to run a direct modeled amp for the PA, recording, or anything else that makes sense.

But you simply have to spend some time working with the gear so you can understand how to use it. That shouldn't be very difficult. A few hours tops - stay focused on getting that Fender sound right and don't wander thru every option. Stick with the basic stuff and you'll be setup fairly quickly. The Fender Deluxe Normal model thru the C212N cab is a simple recipe I've used for years.

Great post. Have you tried the C212N cab with the Deluxe Norm? I like that combo a lot, a little warmer than the US Deluxe Cab. They both work well though. I'll have to double check but I think I was using the SM7 mic option. Legacy Spring verb is my go to favorite...simple and just sounds right.

dmock66 likes this.
  5. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I've never done exactly this, but this is what I'd try.

Closest I've ever come is running a basic pedalboard into a Tech 21 or Joyo then either into a pristine clean tube amp (in the case of the Joyo) or into the effects loop return (in the case of the Tech 21).

I got the results I needed but again, I've never needed to do it into FRFR, PA etc... Pretty confident it would work, but I'd want to give it a whirl before hand.

Like with all this stuff, I'd expect it to work better in a band setting during rehearsal or performance than by yourself where you can agonize over every tiny detail.

Good luck and congrats!

6. dargiles

dargiles Member

In my experience, and I'm sure you'll give me a hundred reasons why your experience is different and that's cool, if you put as much effort into just finding a small tube amp to take with you as you are trying to get a handle on all this new modelling and amp-sim stuff, you'll be better off in the end.
    I mean, if there's genuinely no room at all in the van for even a Princeton then fair enough. But even so, there's pretty much always a way to get an amp for a gig. Contact the venue and ask them who they had supply backline in the past. Ask the guitarist of the band you're supporting if he'd do you a solid this one time. Put out a call on a local musician forum. Contact any and all local guitar stores/techs/etc and see if they could help out for a fee.
    I got adventurous before and decided to use a helix for a couple of shows because it was easier to borrow that from a friend than pick up the phone and call a few places for an amp. To this day I pray no recordings of those shows ever turn up.

7. HughesP

HughesP Member

Lol - that's exactly that amp I'd like to be bringing with me.

Other band also doesn't have a guitar player.

The whole thing is a little weird as things go, tbh..

I won't get into all the weirdness, but let's just say that a direct option is just kind of what I need to look at to get this gig to happen. Otherwise the band is literally going looking at replacing me with tracks (of me from the studio!) for this show. I'm at the gig, though, so I'd like to play!

8. djd100

djd100 Member

The Joyo American Sound will work fine for a clean thru "light" edge of breakup pedal platform, and the cab sim is just a high end roll-off which you can over power with it's versatile tone-stack as needed for any usage.

The American Sound/Blonde's distortion is hideous, so don't go there LOL!

So, for one gig and no learning curve I'd also suggest the Joyo American Sound or Tech 21 Blonde (good clean'ish pedal platform Fender tones, DI'd or via amp and cab, FRFR or guitar cab). I've used one at the end of a small pedalboard for Blues/Jazz/Americana gigs for years, works fine with or without backline (just bypass it when using a decent amp etc).

Have fun!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    dmock66 likes this.
  9. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

If you do go the Joyo route - get the AC Tone rather than the American Sound. We have both as “guest amps” that we run into the mixer if someone wants to sit in with the band. For clean “Fender” tones, the AC Tone just sounds better (who’d a thunk since it’s supposed to be the Vox style pedal). For as cheap as they are get both and decide for yourself but I’m sure you’re going to like the AC better

dmock66 likes this.
  10. djd100

djd100 Member

American Sound sounds fine for Fender stuff, just be sure to dial in the Character Knob correctly for what you meed, as it all starts there with these things.

Haven't tried the AC, but I did try the Plexi and it sucked (of course distortion is not a strong suit for any of them, hence the Plexi which typically rocks is at a disadvantage (i.e. it's cleans were fine)..

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  11. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

Given your lack of interest in digital and not wanting a learning curve, I highly highly recommend picking up custom tones ethos Overdrive. A small pedalboard that has the ethos, an Overdrive, a delay and Reverb will be perfect and do everything you need. Watch some videos. The speaker simulation is excellent and you won't need any stage volume other than the sound people feeding your back a monitor, although you could also have a small amp to have some stage volume if you want. Make sure you get all the mods that come with it including the effects Loop, the tle switch and the HRM EQ.

I gig with this all the time in a cover band and for theater gigs.

12. dmock66

dmock66 Member

Good call - they're like $35/piece - get em both! I've had both - liked them each for different reasons. The AC Tone (go figure) did a better Voxish sound - but to my ears the American Sound was more balanced and received pedals better overall. YMMV - and I'm not arguing as the AC Tone was great. I sold it to a guy at my church and he's getting great tone with it with a small board. It's a win-win - they're both great!

JiveTurkey likes this.