Help needed from the Matchless experts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dangeroso, Dec 22, 2009.

1. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

I’m interested in buying a Matchless, but there are no dealers anywhere near me, so I can’t get much if any playing time beforehand. Can anyone tell me what the main differences in sound are between the various models of Matchless amps? Do some have more gain than others?

Thanks!

2. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

3. kush06

kush06 Member

Austin Vintage Guitar has a few Matchless amps now, a Clubman Reverb and I think a Chieftain, go play them! I think the Clubman is one of the great rock amps ever made. The thing about Matchless amps is, for me, they really need to be turned up to hit the sweet spot. My Clubman sounds kind of thin with the volumes below half, but seriously opens up as it's turned up.

4. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

Actually, I'm living in Dallas now. Not sure when I'll be back in Austin.

5. riker4208

riker4208 Member

don't buy one if you can't try one first.

6. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I love the clubman and he lightning... the Cheiftan didnt do it for me. The DC30 is the most popular. As far as waiting to try it... they are very consisten and there is not going to be a good versus bad one... its all in the tubes but I would buy used or bring big coin. I thought there was a place in Dallas too... the web site should tell you.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have a Chieftain and a SC30, both are 1x12's. The Chieftain is probably the most user friendly and has the greatest eq range. I find the tones to be sweet and less in your face then any other Matchless amp. The SC30 is all about imediacy and attack. For live use I doubt there are many amps made by anyone that exibit the tactial response this amp possesses.

I recently sold a Clubman I bought a while back, great amp with a really stellar clean tone. I just decided with my recent accident to scale back and possibly by something far lighter for practices.

The Spitfire is good as well. Right now my favorite is the Chieftain due to the eq range and overall tones. The leads tones (pregain pushed) is the best of any of the 5 Matchless amps I have owned.

8. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Got a DC30 in '95 - amazing amp, amazing tone for most any style needed - in '01 I had a head/cab set built by Mark Sampson in LA for me - broke up the combo - just too heavy to lug around by the one center handle - still have the 2X12, traded the head for a Vicky Regal II - even at 1/2 power that amp w/the 2X12 was loud - all Matchless amps will be loud - if you can't open them up you'll get frustrated, I did. I have tried the 15 watt combos (variants of either channel in the el84, DC30 Lightening/Nighthawk - I found that I used the EF86 channel the most) in stores and they were still loud - too loud for what I need anyway - you should get one if you can - it will be like no other amp you have owned, and played through - just be sure you can open it up - I even tried a THD Hotplate - well - I ended up with the Regal II, an amp I can adjust the power to the room and open it up - Lots of great amps out there and Matchless are at the top of that list - get one if you can - and enjoy, just be careful with it on steps... ;-)

9. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

Hey Dangeroso!!! I'm in Dallas too..Boy, do we need some good boutique music stores!!!!!I have a Chieftain on the way....If you really get in a bind, I can let you give it a spin for reference...I also have a SMF 15, made by Mark Sampson, which is phenomenal..

10. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Let me see if I can help, as I have a few Matchless amps:

HC-30 (head version of the infamous DC-30): The best Vox AC-30 you've ever heard and then some - on steriods. Amazing chime and jangle from the Treble/Bass channel with plenty of overdrive if you want it for classic rock. EF86 side is an absolutel RnR animal. More gain, thicker midrange, and balls than the T/B channel. This amp is capable of all those classic Vox tones you've heard and then some!

Clubman 35: Kinda Marshall meets Vox meets Hiwatt. Amazing chime and jangle of a Vox, clarity and punch of a Hiwatt, and balls and grind of a Hiwatt. Quite a bit of gain on tap if you need it. Great mix of that "Kerrang" and "Clang" - if that makes sense. One of my personal favorite amps of all time!

Chieftain (I've actually got the Chief - higher powered version w/4XEL34s and SS rectifier - same preamp): Little bit of Tweed meets little bit of JTM45 with that Vox like chime and jangle, if that makes sense. Truly amazing and versitile amp. Very cool midrange! Reverb too, if that interests you!

I've also got a Superchief 120 and HC-85 but, those aren't standard production models.

Don't own these but here's the basics:

If you're into the lower watt thing - the Lightning is essentially the Treble/Bass side of the C-30 series with a 15w power setion!

Phoenix 35 is the same preamp structure as the C-30 w/2xEL34 power section. It does have a different tone indeed! A bit firmer and fatter than the EL84 powered C-30.

Avenger 30 is essentially the Cheiftain preamp into the C-30 series EL84 power amp (so Phil tells me).

Cobra/King Cobra: essentially the EF86 side of the C-30 series with reverb/trem. EL84 and EL34 power sections respectfully.

That's the majority of them. Matchless amps are some of my personal favorites. IMO, you can't go wrong with any of them, from any era! If you can try some, it's worth it!