• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help Needed! Martin OM28 or 000MMV or OMJM

blueslover

Ok thanks in advance for your help because I'm stuck. I hope you all reply because I need help haha. Ok my background. I've played electric forever and have my strats and amps setup complete. I have a Martin 000x1 right now and it sounds good for an X series picked it out of 3 at GC and it's a good guitar for its price. I've never had a really really nice acoustic and I'm about to turn 30 (dunno how it got here so fast) so I want to buy myself something nice. I listen to Mayer, Clapton, Petty, etc. Pretty much just good versatile music preference needs.

So, I've been doing a lot of research and I know about the new simple dovetail and different bracing of the OMJM vs the new OM28. I couldn't find anything about a direct comparison between those two. From what I understand the new OM28 is effectively the OMJM with better bracing, neck joint, and no engleman top and wider string spacing (obviously not as blingy). To me it seems the same as the OM28-JM without the appointments and engleman top. After researching I can't help but now feel the Mayer might kind of be a rip off? since the bracing and neck joint aren't up to the standard series? It seems like the OM28 is more guitar for your money. And it probably has the Mayer tone (he played a normal OM28V for a long time and that's the same as the new OM28 without the V from my understanding).

So add into the mix I go into my local GC and see the 000 MMV in there. Apparently it's spec'd very similar to the Mayer, same neck joint, similar bracing, doesn't have the engleman top but same scale and same string spacing. (has richlite bridge and fingerboard). Last thing is I'm not sure which string spacing is better, the OMJM or the OM28. I feel like the 000 MMV plays well and sounds good, and I can play it but sometimes I wish I had more space, on the flip side however I played the 000 EC and hated the neck/spacing.

I loved the OM21 I played but I can't remember if the spacing gave me playability issues. The only guitars I can play locally now are the 000 MMV or the Clapton.

I would have to order the OMJM or OM28 online. Cost out of pocket total would be as follows:

-000MMV is approx 1400 (can't get tax waived)
-OM28 approx 2300
-OMJM approx 2900

What should I do? Whats the best guitar for the money. I like the bling and dark finish of the Mayer but is it a rip off especially when I can get the OM28 for $600 less (better bracing and neck joint, does engleman really make much a difference)? Or should I jump on the 000 MMV since its close to the Mayer? Or am I crazy to think that? I've never played the Mayer but the OM28 seems like it sounds great.

I always favor the sound bites online of the OM28-JM and can't help but think the OM28 is closer to that guitar than the OMJM. Is that correct.

Another thing is re-sale value, which would have the best (i'm not planning on selling but just curious). Last thing, should i sell my 000x1 for $200 to put towards the purchase (it's a great sounding X series but would I really play it anymore?) I'm sure $200 is a fair price but do you guys think having it around is worthwhile? Or should i sell it for $200, pay a net of $1200 for the 000 MMV and then save a bit longer and add an OM28 to that as well so I have a nice guitar and then a super nice? Or does the 000 mmv get rid of the gas for an OM28 or OMJM? Or is the OMJM a better fit for me? I'm assuming better resale too.

Sorry this is long winded and full of questions but this is a lot of $ for me and I've spent days reading this forum and can't come to a conclusion because no one has compared these three guitars directly. Please find it in your heart to help me find my first real nice acoustic for my August birthday haha!

Astronaut FX

Silver Supporting Member
The 000MMV (Guitar Center exclusive I think) is one of the best values to be had in the entire Martin line IMO. So if you're looking to keep the budget down, and still end up with a nice acoustic, it's a great choice.

I'm not sure where you got your pricing information for the OM28 or the OMJM, but those prices seem a bit lower than what I've seen - maybe you've found some good deals. With respect to which to go for, I would suggest the OM28, and here is why:

• You sound like you either have been or still are primarily an electric player. If you're like most electric players, you've probably been through a decent number of electrics. Maybe you have a couple of keepers, maybe not, but I'm guessing you've had a few.
  • If you're now looking for your first really good acoustic, and you'll still primarily be an electric player, then you're probably looking for what might be your "forever" acoustic.
  • Either the OM28 or the OMJM would fit this bill.
  • But you say you're thirty. Let's fast forward to 20 years from now, and you still have it, and it's still your primary (or only) acoustic. Will you still want Mayer's name on it when you're fifty? Maybe you've thought about this and decided you wouldn't care, but if you haven't thought about it, then I think it's a fair question to ask yourself.
Lastly, before you buy, check out Elderly.com. They typically have a large stock of Martin guitars, both new and used. If you find something on their site that you like, you can give them a call, they'll pull it from the floor and answer any questions you have. I did this recently with a used Martin 0018v and had a great experience. It was used but looked virtually untouched. I was able to get more guitar by buying used. They are one of the few, if not the only, places from whom I'd buy an acoustic online. Great people to deal with.

Good luck with your decision!

blueslover

Thanks so much for the insigtful reply! Yes I've had tons of electrics.

As far as the name I don't care just want the best sound. And yes keeping it is the intention but who knows, you can always sell and buy something else.

Is it a waste of money to get the 000 mmv and then save down the road for the OM28? Is the 000 MMV super close to the Mayer? I've never got to play an OMJM

tweedcab

Silver Supporting Member
So the MMV is a short scale 1 11/16 nut instrument. The OM is a standard scale 1 3/4 nut instrument. For me there is a big difference in the way they feel. IMHO you cant go wrong with the MMV. It is a value for sure, but more importantly, it sounds, plays and feels every bit as good as a standard 000. It would be a waste to spend the additional $ (although you have some very low cost listed) on the other instruments when the MMV is likely going to be the most fun to play due to the short scale. For the record, the Mayer does have the 1 11/16 nut but the standard scale length.

0018g

I wasn't aware Martin had reintroduced the OM28-very cool. For me, I like the 1 3/4" neck width in a sub-dread guitar, as it seems easier to finger pick. The long scale tends to be a punchier sound, and offers more drive for flat picking. The OM-28 will finger pick well, have some headroom and punch when flat picked, and I like the cosmetics.

I like engelmann tops(owned 2), but they do tend to compress earlier than sitka or adi-not as much headroom, but sweet for lower torque applications.

All in all, only one acoustic guitar, I'd do the OM-28.

Your prices are right on if you know where to shop, BTW.

blueslover

So the MMV is a short scale 1 11/16 nut instrument. The OM is a standard scale 1 3/4 nut instrument. For me there is a big difference in the way they feel. IMHO you cant go wrong with the MMV. It is a value for sure, but more importantly, it sounds, plays and feels every bit as good as a standard 000. It would be a waste to spend the additional $ (although you have some very low cost listed) on the other instruments when the MMV is likely going to be the most fun to play due to the short scale. For the record, the Mayer does have the 1 11/16 nut but the standard scale length.

As misleading as it is the 000 mmv has a full scale, it's named 000 but is an OM. Does that change anything for you? Is it not a good idea to get that and the OM28? Prob a waste huh lol.

So you guys like the OM28 better than the OMJM? I wish the 28 had the bling of the JM but I feel like it's a better built one. Does the OM28 hold its value as well as the OMJM?

Thanks you guys are helping tremendously

blueslover

Oh and also what are your impressions of the scales, how much harder would it to be to play a song that requires muting the low E with your thumb on the wider spacing?

0018g

What is the difference in bling other than the ab rosette? Not worth $600 to me.

I don't think the bridge spacing is as big a deal as the nut width, although it is different. I don't get too wigged out until the 1 7/8" nut and corresponding bridge spacing.

I don't believe either one will hold value better than the other. Standard series and above Martins have always been pretty consistent.

blueslover

What is the difference in bling other than the ab rosette? Not worth $600 to me.

I don't think the bridge spacing is as big a deal as the nut width, although it is different. I don't get too wigged out until the 1 7/8" nut and corresponding bridge spacing.

I don't believe either one will hold value better than the other. Standard series and above Martins have always been pretty consistent.

Yea it's the rosette and the darker finish which I like. But yea if the OM is dark enough I guess not a much of a difference. So the consensus is the OM28 is better overall? More like the OM28-JM?

TubeLuvr

Don't know if you're sett only on Martin but I have been real happy with my Larrivee OM-60. It is OM body, 1 3/4 nut and standard scale. Maple binding, herringbone and diamond abalone fret markers so the bling is definitely there. Different sound than Martin but built as well if not better. Price is less than OM-28 and OMJM, would be worth a look.

campfirehero

Hey, as a former owner one of 404 original om-28jm, and the omjm, and now the new 2015 om-28. I can tell you that the om-28 is wonderful and the closest you can get without ordering a custom spec om, or paying 7-8k for the om-28jm. I had the omjm, and it's a nice guitar, but it is built on the 16 series platform with a different bracing and neck joint.
I wanted to get a om-28v but just couldn't get along with the neck. I ordered the om-28 from Jon at My Favorite Guitars online, and had them install a fishman pickup as well. The new neck shape and string spacing is very close to my old om-28jm. I would pass on the omjm and get the om-28. Pm me if you need more details on price and pickup info..

blueslover

Thanks guys, i was leaning towards the Mayer but based on feedback it sounds like the om28 is the way to go. Unfortunately no one has one in stock

Last edited:

TJNies

Personally I would go for the OM-28. I have no issues with the Mayer name on it, but the neck joint affect the tone. Great guitar!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom