Help Needed: Mixer

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Axis29, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

Got a four piece band, sometimes a fifth is added. Three vocals. One or two guitars, harmonica, bass and drums.

Got powered speakers/monitors. Need to upgrade mixer.

I would like something for live and band practice. I don't need a lot of effects, just a touch of reverb. A little compression might be nice, but, for the most part, we get levels, make sure there's not too much reverb and go.

But, here's the tricky part... I'd like to be able to record all the separate channels to a DAW. I have a small mixer now, but it only does stereo out.

Oh, and I don't have a go-zillion bucks.

I've been eying the new Behringer XR-18s. Is there a non-digital solution? Is there a solution in that same price range? I was looking at the QSC and others as well, but there's a serious jump in price. I know the argument of dollars v. quality, etc. But, i gotta do the best I can with the very limited bucks I have now.

2. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

I know soundcraft just released a series of analog mixers with digital outs for all the channels into a daw. That might be what youre looking for

3. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

How many mics for the drums? Normally I see 5+ mics just for the drum kit. The really tricky part is wanting the individual tracks, and not the stereo out. I've moved away from the traditional mixer concept in favor of an interface unit. There are units that can support 8, 16, or 24 channels though as you go up so do the prices. You can use either outboard gear for compression and reverb, or use plug-ins within the DAW. Given that you are doing live recordings, it would likely be better to use outboard gear for that.

4. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

Mackie DL1608 - PLENTY of aux sends for monitors, 16 true channels for 1/4" or xlr input. Works with iOS devices only but allows people to mix their own monitors if desired. Great mic pre-amps also, not sterile but very clean sounding.

Hell, you can find them on the used market now well within your budget if you're considering the Behringer.

Downside is records all channels to one final mix; the larger DL32 just released does individual channels I believe.

5. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Bought a 32 channel version of this http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb13/articles/yamaha-mgp16x.htm

Using it at a venue that sees 2-3 bands per event. I'm recording shows onto a Zoom R16 using the send of the input TRS, and subgroups for Vox and drums. It hits every mark that you stated, compression on the ins, a couple of decent FX processors, and in a price range yiu will like.

Do not confuse th├ęse with the regular MG series, these are way better.