Help needed on XTC decision,,please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gibson08, Aug 25, 2008.

1. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Hello everyone!!, I need some help(so ive been told) What exactly is the difference between the 101b and the classic?? I have owned a 101b and sold it because it just did not do it for me(i know, i know) Obviously there has to be something with this Bogner thing, that many people cant be wrong! So maybe I just tried the wrong model for me, so I keep thinking about the classic model, but have no idea what the differeces are, the web site does not cover that very well, so I ask you kind folks for help(again) My first main question would be that to me the 101b did not have enough gain on the blue channel, is the classic blue channel the same, or does it have more or less gain and is it voiced the same?? Thanks in advance for the help!!!

2. Lution

Lution Member

3. Ricker

Ricker Member

I reckon if you bought a 101b and then sold it because it just wasn't your thing and didn't do it for you...........then I wouldn't go messing with another XTC.......even if it is a Classic......
    They are essentially the same amp but the Classic has less filtering, LESS gain and is more open and less compressed sounding with less options.

You want more gain from the Blue? That is why they have the Red Channel............
    If the Blue was saturated with any more gain they would most likely have to change some circuitry and then it wouldn't be the Blue Channel that everyone loves so much.

Why have 2 high gain channels that do the same thing on the same amp.
    I reckon if you wanted more gain outta the Blue......Just Clean boost it or mild OD it for an extra kick........

But my gut says a classic isn't gonna fix the problems you had with the 101b..............

I have been down this road and have ordered a 101b......
    Still waiting ...he he

Rick

4. gibson08

gibson08 Member

I know and I hear you, I guess as far as the blue channel(for me) it is so close to being there, the red channel is different sounding than the blue channel a little thinner and tons more gain and yes I can use a pedal to boost the gain on the blue channel, but I guess I wanted the amp to get there on its own....Dont know maybe I should try a M90 or something like that???

5. johnnyjellybean

johnnyjellybean Member

I owned a 101b at the same time I had my SLO100 #008 . I sold the 101b not because I didn't like it but because gigs were few and far between and I needed to sell one. I missed it enough to go out and buy another but landed up buying the Ecstasy Classic which is now the most versatile amp I own. ( I own Soldano SLO #008, the Ecstasy Classic and a Splawn QuickRod. The Ecstasy Classic is less compressed than a regular 101b but is DEFINITELY NOT lacking in the gain department. It has as much gain as the SLO or the Quickrod. The blue channel has lots of gain and can easily be used as a lead sound. I do it all the time recording. One thing I found that with the 101b, I would get lost in the mix when playing live but with the Classic, I cut through much better. Also.... the red channel on the Classic sounds bigger than on the 101b (Being that it's less compressed and more open) It's my 1st choice for live gigs and gets lots of use in the studio too.

6. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Classic classic classic!

7. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I've had the 101B and have demo'd the Classic many times. The gain structure is the same, but the Classic is less compressed and more open. If you need more gain there are other amps that will do it very well. You should check out the Bogner Uberschall, 2 channels, clean and ridiculous gain. If you need more than 2 channels try the Diezel VH4 or Herbert, or one on the Engl amps. You might find you like one of those. They are all great amps, just depends on your personal preference.

I have an Egnater Mod 50 which I absolutely love. All tube, hand built, and the preamps are voiced to sound like many different amps. Not to be confused with the ToneMaster amps sold at GC.

8. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

If you didn't like the 101B... you more than likely won't like the Classic. They are more similar than not. The 2005 thru current 101B models have an updated red channel which adds more gain... but the blue channels on both models is near identical.

9. geetarman

geetarman Member

I agree.

10. Ricker

Ricker Member

It seems alot of people have this complaint about the 101b....I've heard it from many so there must be something to it.
    I don't really understand it fully as I haven't played a 101b but I would imagine a reasonable sound-guy would up your FOH if you where lagging.
    He may even enjoy the compression.

The other point is maybe the guys that complain about this are using silly gain levels and then all dynamics are lost.........??
    I dunno......others perhaps have similar or dissimilar experiences?

Rick

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  11. Lution

Lution Member

I don't understand how there could be anything to that. I've never ever had a problem getting lost in the mix with my 101B. Maybe it's folks playing in bands with 3 or more guitarists.

12. Ricker

Ricker Member

He he ........You see even you don't have a problem getting lost in the mix...;)

Must be something up with these 101bs:D

Next thing is we'll turn around and the 101b won't even be on stage.

R

13. MartinC

MartinC Member

Dunno about the XTC ... but I've tried a few amps myself that are widely acclaimed and felt nothing at all when I plugged into them. Doesn't mean the acclaimers are wrong. Just means the amps weren't for me.

I'd advise moving on.

14. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Actually I have a VH4S and believe it or not it is not the perfect amp, however to me it is closer than the 101b(had em at the same time) VH4S channel one is a PERFECT clean channel for me, one of the best! channel three is a GREAT channel for things a little more on old school metal type stuff, which I play a lot of ,so perfect for me, channel four is almost the same as three but with more gain and more...well,,squeal i guess, but channel two again kind of like the 101b, is not quite there with the GAIN. To me both of these amps have dedicated these channels to marshall crunch, but its like they only have about three quarters of the gain,,I dont get it!! On another note the Mod 100 or Randall modular sounds interesting to me, but thats a whole 'nother thread!! BTW THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES, LINKS, INPUT!!!!!!:bow

15. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Would this be the same johnnyjellybean from the LPF that was the guitar player in April Wine? ;)

16. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Any more thoughts???