Help needed, Peavey classic 30, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vangit, Feb 1, 2006.

1. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

Help needed about an amp, hope you guys can help. I’m looking for a small tube amp that is easily portable and can play well at low volumes BUT also has enough power to be heard over a drummer when jamming. I know there are great amps like Zinky and Dr Z, but due to budgets I’ve narrowed it down to a Peavey Classic 30 and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I also know where I can get the Hot Rod Deluxe limited that comes with the green tolex and the Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.

I plan on using all the channels on the amp, but also plan on using a Pod Xt Live through the clean channel when I’m in the mood.

Any thoughts on these amps as far as my key requirements:
    -play well at low volumes
    -loud enough to be heard in a jam without breaking up too bad
    -all channels play well
    -takes pedals\XT Live well

Also, would love to know if anyone knows how the HR Deluxe limited with the celestion vintage 30 compares with the normal HR deluxe

Thanks in advance!

2. robbieboyette

robbieboyette Member

I have a Peavey Classic 30. I used it back in 1996 for about 4 months on the road with a band. Since I mic up and get a good hot signal coming back at me through my monitor....there was no issue of it not being able to cut through the band. Matter of fact since I was in control of the band's mix....I was the loudest thing in the mix!!! LOL!
    I used it for that time because we had a 5 piece band and the stages we were playing on weren't big enough to comfortably fit a stack on. And the little peavey classic 30 did just fine. I coupled it up with some boss effects through it's effects loop and it sounded great.
    I don't use it anymore cause now I have a 3 piece band and have plenty of room to set up my WALL. :)
    But I drug it out of the attic last week for a rehearsal with my second band that I play in during the week and that little monster still sounded great!

3. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've had a Peavey Delta Blues with single 15 speaker for over a year now and gigged and jammed with it quite a bit. It's rated at about 30 watts and is LOUD. I think that 15 inch speaker adds a lot to its overall tone. It covers alot of tonal ground. Its clean channel has plenty of headroom for the kind of gigs you mention. I've never been able to take it above 4.5 in a live situation. The drive channel covers a broad range from mild drive (totally decent) to fizzy super saturation. The built in reverb is totally decent and it also has a built in tremolo, which I seldom use. It also has an effects loop, though without any controls, which I've used for delay, etc. It takes pedals very well and retails new for somewhere in the $500 mark.

Overall, I'd say this amp does very well for me. It's a workhorse. I did have to upgrade the tubes because one of the preamp tubes went microphonic, but haven't had problems since.

4. blues junkie

blues junkie Member

I just got a Hot rod Limited Edition Emerald and my advice is to snatch it up!I think it's a great sounding amp and all three channels are very useable if you set it up right.Also it takes pedals very well.I paid $575.00 for mine from GC so that should give you a idea on what to pay.Also I use mine for gigging and it works great for a grab and go amp.

Good luck.

Blues Junkie.

5. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

PV C30 is one of the sleeper amps of the century. I've rehearsed and gigged with mine for a few years, mic'd or not. Great loop. Put some nice tubes in it and a fav speaker (I have a jensen neo in mine) and you're good to go.

jon

6. kev

kev Member

Stu,

Unless you want the green tolex/grille cloth/creme knobs/Celestion V30, you are buying the same HRDlx as the normal one. If you like the looks of the black tolex/black knobs and are most likely going to spring for a speaker upgrade anyway, put your money on that version and use your leftover cash towards your choice of speaker/tubes.

A couple of years ago I tried a handful of amps in the stores, Peavey Classic 30s and 50s/Traynors (the 40 watt ones?)/Fenders (DRRIs, HRDlxs, HRDlx LEs). I had a budget of around $600, so that killed the idea of a new DRRI quickly. Based on what I heard in side by side comparisons, I purchased a HRDlx LE with a Jensen C12N (brown tolex/wheat grille cloth/creme knobs being the other differences) for something like $530. To my ears the amp was much better voiced than the Emi equipped version. I lean towards clean tones since I grew up on a Twin. The bonus for me at the time was that the LE was actually less money than the regular ones and I preferred the look. I will say that if I had had the extra money, I would have taken a DRRI over any of the HRDlx models.

You probably know this, but the HRDlx line of amps are not a true channel switchers. They have three settings, but there are not three distinct channels. To my ears, you are better suited to fire up any distortion via a pedal with the Fender. Keeping everything stock you can get a decent breakup/overdrive with the amp, but of course you have to have the amp wound up and I don't know if your situation could allow that. You could also attenuate the amp, but I have not had the opportunity to run mine that way. Some HRDlx owners have swapped out preamp tubes and reported that the "Drive" and "More Drive" settings improve. I have not tried this yet either. I personally use OD and distortion pedals to goose the amp.

I can't offer any direct comparisons between any of the amps you mention as I have not played through all of them in a gig situation. Like Fifthstone, I borrowed a Peavey Delta Blues for a couple of months while I was looking for an amp of my own to fit the bill you are looking at right now. With that amp, and the db limitations, I used an OD pedal to goose it too. During some practices I did crank it to get it's natural overdrive and I liked what I heard, but the singers in the band could not appreciate it. :) It was a LOUD amp. It stayed right with our drummer (who knew one volume~full on).

I have used my amp in a live situation (band practices included) for around 350 hours, more if you counted my home practices. I have always been heard in the mix, sometimes too much according to the other guitar player or the person behind the mixer. What's a boy to do? ;)

It has overheated one time after a five hour, blow your eardrums out, jam fest. I have not changed out the stock tubes. I have had to replace the jewel light three times (my guess is due to the position of the chassis where any heat generated flows right past it). I have used OD/distortion/wah/digital delay pedals and it's been fine. I rarely use the effects loop though, so I can't comment on that section of the amp. I have no experience with a XT Live either. Overall, it has been a great amp for it's price.

Check out this website, as it offers great insight into all things HRDlx. This particular URL starts you out at the 'replacing the speaker' section:

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/newspeaker.html

Hope this helps!

Kev

7. kfowler11

kfowler11 Guest

Kev. My name is Kevin and I'm a righty playing lefty. Are you my evil twin?

I have a Classic 30 I've had for years. Best amp for the money IMO. I did recently switch out the Blue Marvel Speaker for a Celestian. It's not the end all be all for amps but it's plenty loud, light, and versitle. I've played the HR deluxe in store a while back. Nice amp also.

8. kev

kev Member

LOL! I could be, but I'd need a PS PRS to complete the look, got a spare? :D

Kev (kev on BaM too, btw)

9. kfowler11

kfowler11 Guest

One more thing. I did my undergrad at Auburn. I see you're in B'ham. I saw Johnny Cash at City Stages there years ago.

10. royd

royd Member

Another + for the Peavey. I too play a Delta Blues (mine is a 210) and I like it a lot. I swapped tubes and one of the speakers but it was fine before. You may want to check out the DB in addition to the 30. They are basically the same amp with more speaker options in the DB and trem. I have heard that the 12 inch speaker in the Peavvey is its weak point and that either swapping the speaker or going to the DB is a good move. On the other hand, if you like the sound of the 30, you could go as is and always swap the speaker at a later date if you wanted.
    The downside of any amp in this price range is thin pcb's with tube sockets and pots mounted on the boards so you lose some reliability.

11. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I actually have a Peavey Classic 20, which is a lot harder to find these days compared to its older brother. But I've also had plenty of experience on these amps. I grew up playing on these amps because my uncle was using almost the entire Classic Series at the time for any number of different gigs. To this day he still has his Classic 30, and still uses it! Great amp for the money. It's a tough call with the HRDlx and the C30. Both great amps, but if I had to pick one on the spot, I'd probably go with the Classic 30.

12. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

the HR Dlx is a great platform for running efx/pedals

you can use the clean channel direct or plug into the power amp via the efx loop and use the L6 as your preamp.

Stu, I shot you an email and PM yesterday :)

13. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

e-mail reply sent. Sorry for the delay Mike

14. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

Kev, you have alot of time on the amp, few questions for you if you don't mind?
    1. I was told the amp is really designed for Strats (sinlge coil guitars) adn doesn't take hums well. I play humbuckers. Do you have an opinion?
    2. I was also told there is not alot of headroom on the clean channel and it's hard to get good cleans in a jam situation? Thoughts?

thanks alot for all the info!

15. DirtyChains

DirtyChains Member

I am going to recommend the new Peavey Classic 30 head and a used/new Avatar 2x12. You will have to spend a bit over $600 but you will have a more versitile rig with the 2x12. If you order a new Avatar you can pick your speakers and you will be heard a bit better in a band/live situation. Like I said, this is a bit over your budget but I think it would make a killer budget setup. I except the Classic 30 head will be $399 when it gets in more stores. You can pickup used Avatars for around $200-225.

16. Boogs

Boogs Member

One thing about the Classic 30 head, that I almost couldn't believe until I saw it for myself on their website....

It has only a 16 ohm tap. So, if you're running a 2x12 from it, you can't your speakers in parallel unless you talk Ted Weber into making some custom 32 ohm jobs - too bad, 'cause you never know if two speakers are going to sound good in series.

17. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I tryed an Emerald HRD. I thought it sounded good. The gain channel was very useable. And a Bad Monkey sounded good on the clean.

18. madsr

madsr Member

I also have a peavey delta blues 1x15.. It is a great amp with great tone. the clean is great, I don't use the drive channel however, use a keeley bd2 and 808 for drive. the reverb is decent. I also have a custom fender pro jr (1x12)that I use in tandem with the delta blues, and the combo is fantastic. I have played through a hot rod deluxe and used to own a deville.. both are great amps also, either way you can't go wrong..the peavey classic 30 will be less $. I must agree though that the DRRI is a fantastic amp as well.

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Definately the Classic 30 over a HRD. I had both and the distortion on the Fender was about useless for anything more than blues.
    Dirty channel on the Classic 30 is way better.

20. kev

kev Member

1. To my ears, I actually prefer humbucker guitars through it, but I use both with good results (a 335 and a Strat mostly). My 335 has stock t-top hums, so I'm not using super hot pickups.

2. Not sure about that one either, as everyone has a difference of opinion when it comes to what cuts through in a band situation. The HRDlx's Master volume pot is a linear pot, not audio taper, which may be part of the reason for the "not a lot of headroom" statement. With that stock pot, you're looking at maximum volume somewhere around 4 on the dial. Anything above that and you will begin to notice increasing amounts of natural overdrive, moreso with a hum equipped guitar of course, but not much more in the way of volume. To me, 4 is plenty loud, so I'm happy. It is not designed to have a Twin's headroom, that's for sure. On a typical day in the band setting I have the amp's Master volume set between 3 and 4. I play clean about half of the time, miked (but I rely on my own stage volume to hear myself), with another electric guitarist and an acoustic guitarist, and have no problems hearing myself or being heard. There are so many factors at work though. I play with the amp up off the floor at about my knee level, which helps me hear myself better. The physical places you play is another one that really affects things too.

I don't know if this offers much insight, but there it is.

Kev