Help Needed - Tele Wide Range Neck Pickup Too Dark

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Last Angry Man, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Last Angry Man

Last Angry Man Member

Hi All

Hoping for a bit of help here... I have a lovely 2014 Fender 50s Hot Rod Tele with the wide range HB in the neck and a broadcasted single coil in the bridge and a 4 way switch. Love the broadcaster and love the switching however the wide range neck HB is so dark it is pretty much impossible to switch between neck and bridge without dialling back the tone knob significantly. In fact even wide open the neck is still a touch too dark for me.

I'm looking for options that will keep the aesthetic while brightening the neck tone. Should I go boutique wide range replacement (thinking Creamery pickups perhaps) or get a replacement guard and put in a humbucker (and if so, which one?)?

for reference I'm playing through a Custom 68 Deluxe and my other guitars are a 70s AM Vintage Strat with Abby Ybarra 69s and an Elliott Easton Firebird (love the neck tone on it)

Anyone have any experience with this sort of Tele set up? Any ideas? Feedback on the new Fender wide ranger in general and how replacements compare?

Thanks in advance!

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

What value are the tone/vol pots?

3. Last Angry Man

Last Angry Man Member

They are stock but I'm not sure. I'll check tonight. The bridge is fine though so it;s not so much the overall sound but the difference in clarity between the neck and bridge...

4. AL30

AL30 Member

Yep, you wanna check these. 250K pots on those pickups sound like a wet blanket. Or at least they did in my Tele Deluxe. 1Meg brightened them up a lot - maybe too much. I'm considering putting in 500K pots.

AL

5. Last Angry Man

Last Angry Man Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look when I get the chance. Would changing the pots not make the bridge too bright though? Like I said, I like how that sounds at the moment.

6. rummy

rummy Member

I'd try Seth Lover pickup in the neck. It'll clear it up, if you don't want to mess with the pots.

7. monty

monty Member

I had the same problem and went with 500k pots in my Custom Reissue. Worked out fine but it has its own knobs being a custom so I'm not sure how it would work out for you on your axe.
    I'd try it before swapping pups if I were you.

8. AL30

AL30 Member

It might do that. I have 2 humbuckers in mine so it wasn't an issue. Have you tried searching over at the Telecaster forum? www.tdpri.com/

AL

9. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Not sure if we mean the same thing regarding 'dark, but it sounds similar to when I had this old '73 Custom long ago.
    Seems the hotter pickup s/b in the bridge, not vice versa.

Dial in the bridge position, then neck pickup would sound too 'big'.
    Or get a good sound on the HB...then the bridge position would sound too glaring and thin.
    [​IMG]

10. straightblues

straightblues Member

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I put a partscaster together once using 500k pots...the bridge pickup was so bright and thin it was unusable. I even had a 250k resistor running from the bridge pickup lug on the switch to ground. It sounded like ass. Most manufacturers use 205k for this reason.

I believe a Duncan 59 is brighter than a Seth Lover, you may want to try that. If that doesn't work you're stuck using the tone control. I use mine even with a stock Tele, most Tele players do.

12. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

Lower the pickup as far as it will go, raise the top pole screws/ lower the bottom pole screws. 500k tone pot and a treble bleed on the volume.

13. profgalen

profgalen Member

I have Lollar Regals in my Tele Deluxe. 500K pots. They sound fantastic. Worth $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

If you're going to the trouble of swapping guards, I'd highly recommend a Mini-Hum in the neck, especially if you want to keep the 4-way switch option in there, you WILL have to find a neck that isn't so overpowering, and IME, most HB's overpower a Tele bridge.

There are ways to compensate pot-wise with a 3-way via pots.
    I'm still not a fan tho I know it can be wrangled, but I still think it's a compromise in the end, and I don't like to compromise.
    But with a series connection like the 4-way has, it will be even more important to get something
    in there that will be more harmonious with a Tele bridge.

Mini-Hum or Firebird, preferrably Lollar, you'll love it way more than a HB.
    They're big and warm compared to a Tele bridge, but still have some sparkle and bite and tonewise get along really well with Tele bridges, a much better matchup AFAIC.

15. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Fender came out with "revoiced" versions of their WRHBs in 2012 but then for some reason kept the same part# and they look identical (my rants have been recorded on the Tele forum ha ha). I tried to find one of them for my 2011 AVRI 72 Tele Custom..even the big venders on e bay could not tell me which they had. Maybe Fender wanted to be able to move existing stock, I don't know.

I'd guess you have the re voiced version which i always heard are an improvement over the previous version. I wound up sending mine to the UK for a mod by Catswhisker, then I coil split the modded pickup with a mini toggle. And, over the top a little maybe, I hooked up a mini pot to the coil split under the pickguard for a variable, adjustable coil split tone. Using the pot I was able to give the split tone a little more umph. Huge improvement in general. Oh, I also installed a Cavilier Fat Lion in the bridge postition and a different value pot on the bucker ..sorry can't remember if I went 250 K to 500K or vice versa..

Lots of threads on the Tele forum on the modern WRHBs..as said, Telenator, Lollar, Novak and others I'm sure also have good options.