Help Needed... What are the best options for recording guitar direct?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WildTop, Mar 4, 2006.

1. WildTop

WildTop Member

I'm having some trouble with the subject...
    Can you give me some advise on my options for direct recording?

Until now i was using my old RP2000 for recording but I want to upgrade my recording gear to more pro level for achiving good clean and distorted tones...

I know that there are tons of methods (preamps, tube DI's, modeling, etc.) and i would be greatful for any help...

thanks guys...

2. threm

threm Member

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

I just had great results running my amp into a Weber MASS ($50 used) into a Palmer DI ($160 new)

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

I've had my best results using software, NI's Guitar Rig.

My fave speaker sim box is the ADA Micro Cab II, you'll need a load box though.

imo, modelling will give you best results for DI.

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

IMO the best results will come from a tube amp, and a really good dummy load and speaker emulator (eg the Sequis Motherload, or a combination of separate units as playon said). But it won't be the cheapest or simplest option. Next best would be a tube preamp designed for recording and a powerful graphic EQ (in my experience you need both, not just the preamp). Third would be a really good solid-state preamp, eg SansAmp rackmount, also probably with the graphic. Fourth would be a good tube or analog solid-state pedal and a speaker-emulating DI box.

(I can't stand modelers, others may disagree.)

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

For recording, you may want to check out line 6's toneport

Like John, I can't stand modellers, but only for live use. For recording, they are pretty sweet.

http://www.line6.com/toneport/

7. danel59

danel59 Member

I have the Palmer PGA04 and PodXT but the last recording I did was with a Koch Pedaltone. This is all tube, uses one as a 1/2 watt power amp simulater.
    This sounded very good but the other benifit is it has the feel and dynamics of a real tube amp and it is easier to tote around than my amp head and Palmer. The Palmer works very well ,you have a lot more control over your sound and the benefit with that is you can plug different amps for what the song calls for. This and not waking the neighbours or family is great!

Dan

8. covert

covert Member

I have gotten acceptable tracks with a Boss multi floor unit. Not often, but a couple of times.

Imo, the best thig going is the old Hughes and Kettner half rack modules. Cream Machine and Blues/Crunch master. Paired with a Mesa Bottle Rocket, I can get a wide range of very nice sounds.

9. royd

royd Member

the most accurate modeller that I've found is the Boss Amp Factory. It acts like an amp - cleans up as you roll back your volume, reacts nicely to your pick attack, and sounds pretty close to the amps it is modelling. It didn't sell so well because it only has amp & speaker models without any effects and is out of production but hey are floating around and can be had for very cheap (mine goes up for sale every now and then... although for now it isn't ;)). It does have a digital out though and even makes a good OD pedal in some of the models for live use through an amp. I haven't used it directly through the PA.

10. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

Been getting some mind-blowing results with my Pod XT Pro> DEQ 2496 (fizz notching) > PDI09 > Apogee Rosetta 800/192.

Truly sounds like a MASSIVE rig on 11 miked to the hilt! :AOK

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Gary,
    what's the purpose of using the Palmer PDI-9 with the XT? Are you bypassing the XT's speaker sim and using the palmer instead? What frequencies are you notching to remove the fizz? I only really notice fizz on the hi gain models which I don't use very often. The ghost notes on some amps are a real issue for me but there are several very good amp sims in the xt (budda, hiwatt, twin) that give very good results for direct recording.

12. jbird327

jbird327 Member

H&K Tubeman, also the cream machine mentioned above. I have had some ok results with a DG Stomp.

13. playon

playon Supporting Member

Here's a clip of a direct recording I made with the Weber Mini-MASS (basic version, no EQ) into the small Palmer PDI-09 into the converters:

http://home.comcast.net/~playon/52_T_BRIDGE.MP3

Cheapo guitar, good pickups, great amp... sounds better than most miced guitar sounds I've gotten.

14. Shon Kornfeld

Shon Kornfeld Member

I use my CAE OD-100 > THD Hot Plate Line Out > POD XT Pro with the amp models OFF, using the cab and mic sims. the POD is clocked to my Apogee Rosetta 200, and sounds killer!

15. Electric I

Electric I Member

Heya, in the same boat as well.

The modelling boxes I've tried didn't do it for me so I started muckin' around with various od/dist boxes into either a parametric/graphic eq into a dI box with a 4X12 cab sim built in.

I also bought a v-stack pedal, which is supposedly a miked marshall stack-in-a-box. sounds too good to be true, I know, but if I can get tones similar to the ones on the site, then that'll do for now.

16. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

Tech 21 Trademark 10. This thing was MADE for recording. They're discontinued, but I was able to pick one up for $175. Great deal.

17. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yeah I've got one of these also. Great practice amp but I was REALLY dissapointed by the recording quality. The cab sims have so much bass they are unusable IMO. The podXT kills it.

The modeling technology isn't totally there yet but its getting better with every generation and the price/performance/consistency/convenience ratio is thru the roof... especially for the home recording enthusiast.