Help needed with keys.

TheBradge

So, i've got a budget of $400 and i've been looking for some 2ndhand keys.
I've got a Yamaha PSR E-403 next to me which is actually not a half bad keyboard, plays allright, sounds decent (for the price) But it's not a machine that i want to use onstage with "Unicornflakes" So...

I'm looking for some secondhand replacements.
Now, i'm not the best keyboard player ever and i'm not necessarily looking for very up to date gear, i am howerver, trying to get the best deal in my budget.. So i came across 2 keyboards.

1: Technics KN6000, i'm a Technics fan since i was a little boy, i've got them all brand new up until the 5000 came out, never owned a 6000, as soon as i heard about the Yamaha Tyros i lost all interest in Technics keyboards and started to play Yamaha's.

However, i've owned a KN5000 last year and it certainly wasn't a Tyros (Owned the 1 and the 3) in terms of ease of use and functions, but some of the sounds just blew the Tyros away (Brass/Organs/Piano/E.Piano/Strings/Choirs) So that's why i'm thinking about buying another Technics again for use with the band (The sounds that we use are the sounds that the Technics still is imo unbeatable in)

2: Roland VA7, never actually owned a proper Roland, i've had the E28/E68/E70 and i do have got the E-600 upstairs (Unfortunatly with a broken display) But they really didn't do it for me in terms of sounds, they all reminded me of those horrible mid 90s Computer midi sounds.

However, with the VA7 i've been keen on trying to get one, it has variphrasing and sampling which is cool, it has more waverom than the Technics, it features tons and tons of sounds and a lot of sounds are great (Guitars/Drums/Organs/E.pianos) There still is something that says "No, don't buy it, you'll regret it" And that is that well... I need user registrations accesable at any time and i don't want to fool around with a touchscreen...

Of course alot of people are now gonna say "Dude, get a Tyros" And i really really REALLY want one.. But i don't want the Tyros 1 again.. Since well, i've owned it and played it, and that keyboard sounds very dated, even more so than the KN6000/KN6500/KN7000, so i want to buy something that i can use now with the band that has great sounds, great functionality, isn't expensive, and looks great. Tyros 1 is a fantastic looking machine but in my opinion it still costs too much 2nd hand ($1000 in Holland isn't a weird number..)

So, well.. Yeah, i'm still looking for stuff between the Roland and the Technics. Something inside me says "Get the Technics, you've always been a Technics fan, you've always hated Roland" Which is true.. But something else says "Don't get the Technics, you don't get any support for it anymore since they stopped producing instruments in 2004" Which is actually not a very valid argument since i always buy my gear secondhand.

Can anyone help me with this question, please?

Sorry for the tons of text.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
Here's my experience.
I am trying to get a Technics console piano / workstation repaired at one of the churches I play at.
It weights about 150 lbs. Lousy sounds ( except for the piano)
I was quoted $150.00 just to have them look at a sticky key and I would have to bring it in.
No thank you!
I am a big believer in the company offering parts and upgrade support.
I would stay with Roland ( if you like their sounds)
For me, I am a Yamaha fanboy.
I own a Mox6 and get great piano / organ / and electronic piano sounds.
At $400.00 you may be able to pick up a good Yamaha MM series.
YMMV.

TheBradge

2nd thought:
have you looked into a controller and a laptop to generate sounds?
I actually bought a laptop last month to use in the band for better sounds, but the laptop kept on crashing the software (Windows 8 isn't the best for that.. and it can't seem to work properly with my DAW) And i can't return the laptop since it was configured for my taste (i7/SSD/8gigs of storage) So now i'm having to deal with that.

So that's why i'm looking for a decent keyboard for in the band so that i can use somthing reliable with good sounds.

TheBradge

Well, to get back on the subject.

I'm mailing with a guy who has got a Roland G-70 waiting for me for $500! So in other words, as things go as planned i'm buying that!

brainman

My advice on keys is that D minor is really the saddest of all of them. I don't know why, but it makes people weep instantly.

TheBradge

So, i bought a Tyros anyways. Found one for $550, the guy with the G70 stopped responding and also lived about 100 miles away, that was a bit too much for me.

Trending Topics