Help needed with monitor/amplifier on Pod Studio Ux2

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by naccoachbob, Feb 27, 2015.

1. naccoachbob

naccoachbob Member

I record sometimes with the Line 6 Pod Studio UX2, but currently only listen thru computer speakers.
    The UX2 has two analog outs that require balanced powered monitors.
    I also have a pair of Bose 901's I got over 40 years ago, but they do not have power.
    My understanding is that I would need an amplifier to connect the speakers to the UX2.
    Question 1: How would I connect all this? I guess I'd need a couple of guitar type cables, very short, to go to the amp, but I don't know if the amps on the market can take the regular speaker wire coming from the speakers.
    Question 2: Is there another kind of interface where I could go with passive speakers? Reasonable price? Again, would they accept speaker wire.
    Question 3: If this comes about, is there a way to have speaker wires converted jack to plug into the amp?
    Question 4: Am I complicating things? Should I just bite the bullet and buy powered monitors? :)

2. randombastage

randombastage Member

The 901's are stereo system speakers so you would need a home stereo type amp that has an output to mate with the impedance those speakers present. I don't know what that would be. Usually the 'amp' for a home stereo is the reciever that has a radio tuner and inputs for turntable, tape decks, etc.

In theory the Line6 device might be able to output to one of those inputs...an "aux" input perhaps.

It wouldn't sound great though.

The powered monitors option is a much better choice.

3. naccoachbob

naccoachbob Member

Thanks much. I've mulled it over and am starting to think the same thing.
    One big problem with the 901's is that they sit on pedestals and eat up a lot of room.
    They surely can crank up the sound though :)

4. randombastage

randombastage Member

Yea they were good but stereo gear is far from a flat response kind of monitor and if yours are like mine were the rubber gaskets on the speaker cones are shot by now...mine disintigrated...