Help needed with SUPRO GAS!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by desertRat, Feb 26, 2015.

1. desertRat

desertRat Member

Hi all, New poster here but long time lurker.
    Last week i had the great honor of stumbling across a '51 supro spectator, after the first chord rang out i was smitten. i tried but as bad as i NEED this amp in my life the owner wouldn't sell it. I've been checking reverb and eBay daily but I've only seen two like it pop up and they were both in the $500 and up ball park. thats way more than i want to pay for an amp that will have to go straight to my techs bench ($$$) and was essentially a bargain/practice amp from the start. its seems everything with a supro badge in any condition is going for huge inflated prices these days.
    Is there anything i should be looking for that will get me the same tone? any of the VALCO line thats still under the radar i should be looking for? or am i doomed to just bite the bullet and pay the big bucks for the little amp????

Thanks for your time helping ease my G.A.S

2. gtone

gtone Member

Check out Vintage 47 amps. You can order them new from their website or occasionally they pop up used at a decent discount on the Amp Emporium here or CL/local BB's.

3. desertRat

desertRat Member

I've looked at vintage 47 but they discontinued the spectator and the only thing they offer thats similar is the comet but i'm not looking to drop that much $ on an amp i wont be gigging. i just picked up a mesa stiletto ver.1 and a '66 bandmaster in the last few months that i'm happy with, i just want the sound of that spectator for fun at home. what i'm hoping for is to find a lesser known version that can be had for cheap, i'm not really wanting to spend more than $300 as to leave some funds for the tech.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

You'd probably like my Rickenbacker M-8, no tone control and it uses a 12ax7 as input tube but right in that old Valco meets tweed champ type of tone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's big brother m-11 is a 2-6v6 amp so not single ended. But it's sounds like your just in love with those skanky old pawn shop amp tones, look at Silvertones and even Wards Airlines from the 50-60's. A old Silvertone 1482 and jumper the channels can be gloriously ragged and skanky sounding.

5. LPVM

LPVM Member

Send LeonC a PM. He is the resident expert on those and can probably give you a heads up on other Valco rebrands to look for that slightly less hunted. He also builds clones that sound fantastic.

As far as other off brands with a similar vibe the Silvertone 1482 is awesome and they are a little more affordable at $350 or so. I've got two of those and they are fantastic. I've got a bunch of clips of them on my Youtube page (link in sig).