Help: New 6v6 Tubes for Morgan TR19!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cwcashiniv, Feb 9, 2015.

1. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

So I have this killer Morgan TR19 that needs some new output tubes (6v6). One of them went on me this weekend. That being said, what tubes would you recommend for re-tubing?

I also plan on installing them myself. Any advice, considering this is the first time I'm doing this 'surgery' myself? Thanks ahead of time!

2. terrapin

terrapin Member

I am thinking that amp is Fixed Bias? If I am right you are going to have to
    Re-bias the amp after installation in order to get the best out of tubes and amp. That is not a job for someone who has never changed any tubes. If I am wrong and it is Cathode Bias then you can just plug them in and play.

Nothing to the installation. Just line up the "key" on the 6V6's with the "keyhole". Call Joe Morgan and ask what tubes he would recommend. He told me once he hates almost all new production 6v6's, but Joe changes his mind. I, personally would go with some NOS tubes for both sound quality and longevity, but that's just me.

Nice amp. Congrats.

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I'd get in touch with kca tubes (Blue Strat)and see what he's got and would recommend in nos, unless you just want to keep using the new production bic lighter tubes and keep changing them every 2 years. They may cost 2x price but you'll usually get 3-4x the life out of them.

Believe your cathode bias so just plug n play.

4. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

5. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

For new production tubes, I like the Tung Sol's

6. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Thanks everyone! I have a call in to Joe Morgan to talk a bit about it. I'm thinking I'll give the Tung Sol's a try. They seem to be getting a good review from multiple sources...