help: old amp buzzz a.k.a.- a good tech in Seattle

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by plowkraut, Feb 15, 2006.

1. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

I have an old epiphone tube combo that I converted into a head. 2 12ax7's (one for trem), one el84 and a 6x4 rectifier. I recently moved acroos the country. I was, of course, very careful with all of my gear. Since living in my new home I have noticed that the amp buzzes more then iit used to. It has a two prong power chord and the on switch is also a "polarity" switch (when switched it can reduce the buzz). When I turn down my guitars tone knob all the way the buzz is all but eliminated. When I physically touch the metal knobs on the amp the buzz is reduced. Adjusting the tone and level knobs on the amp can dial out some buzzing but makes the tone unusable (same goes for the knobs on my guitar). I have checked the cables, switched the power tube and V1 with new tubes and tried different guitars. Still, the buzz remains.

I am concerned because I want to start recording at home but the buzz is so loud that I can't use my amp (I know about the alternatives but want to mic my amps). My other amp is at a friends house and I noticed that the slight buzz it had in my home has all but disappeared when plugged in over there.

Any help is appreciated. It seems like it could be a grounding issue (could a power conditioner help?). I don't really kow enough to say:jo .

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Get it fitted with a 3-wire cord. I'd maybe also have the house electrics, especially the grounding, checked by an electrician.

The noise is actually mostly being picked up by the guitar not the amp (since it nearly disappears when the guitar tone is turned down) - the new house may be more electrically noisy too, hence more noise in the first place, but with the amp not properly grounded it's not being eliminated like it should be. This is also a good indication of a potential safety hazard.

3. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

Congrats, you are the winner!! My first born to you good sir for your generosity!! Seriously, I came for some help, help recieved. This place rules. I really appreciate the info, thank you. Three prong chord it is.:AOK

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

No worries :). Even fitting a 3-wire cord might not totally eliminate it, but at least you'll know that the buzz is from the equipment, not from you :eek:. You might have to take some other steps after that, but start there.

Safety first, then reliability, then tone, and originality somewhere down the line - unless you're a collector, but I'd guess that doesn't apply since you already turned it into a head :D.

5. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

Funny you should mention that. The cabinet I removed the chasis from is untouched. It was a simple matter of removing two screws. I'm not a collector but you never know...

6. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Call Jay at Emerald City Guitars. They have more vintage stuff there than anybody in the region - plus - a really good tech on-site, if I'm not mistaken.

Jet

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Condor Electronics in Seattle.

8. Ron K

Ron K Member

Looks like some good rec's above if you're in the city. If you're on the eastside, there's Erickson Audio.