• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help on Amp Choice please... (Bruno, 65, Two Rock, Carr, Swart, Dr Z...)

Pick your favorite head + cab, then explain why:

• Bruno UG30

• Swart SST30

• Two Rock Jet

• Divided by 13 RSA31

• 65amps Monterrey/Soho

• Fuchs ODS 50

• Dr. Z Maz 38

• Matchless Chieftan

• Other, please explain...

Results are only viewable after voting.

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
Due to where I live, playing a variety of boutique amps isn't an easy option. I'm looking for a head + cab, not a combo. Thanks.

So here's the deal:
I just got a new Goodsell Super 17, and while it is an AMAZING amp, I need something bigger. I've just been asked to tour nationally this summer with a band that tends to draw large crowds in crappy venues, therefore I need a LOUD amp that may or may not get miced. Not 100w Marshall stack loud, but 30-50 watts loud.

Here's what I like:
AC-30 clean chime, Orange breakup, Marshall+LP neck pickup creaminess, good picking dynamics, takes pedals well, good clean headroom but decent breakup at a less-than-earsplitting level, onboard reverb, versatility in the form of bright/mid switches, and classy looks.

Here's what I play:
Rock, alternative, indie... Radiohead/Pixies/Coldplay/Killers/G'n'R influenced. Lots of rhythm guitar, going from clean to totally dirty, to kind of dirty, to solo crunch...

Before you answer:
I know these amps have different tube configs, price points, options, etc... JUST ANSWER AND TELL ME WHY. I don't need to know how all over the board I am. :)

So... Bruno Underground 30, Two Rock Jet, 65amps Soho/Monterrey, Matchless Chieftan, Dr. Z Maz 38, Swart SST30, Fuchs ODS50, Divided by 13 RSA31, Komet Concorde, Carr Hammerhead or something else?

Last edited:

blastastick

Two Rock, and ODS 50 too smoooooth, Bruno, is too clean, and will not get GnR tones, 65 amps, and /by 13 is more British invasion tone. Swart I have never played, and do not care for Dr.Z. They seem more country clean tones. Roccaforte, CAA, Demeter, or a Real Marshall Jubilee 100W may fill the bill.

Rick360

Howdy,

I'd suggest Dr. Z Stangray head with a 2-12 cab (Celestion AlNiCo blues). This amp is supposed to be AC-30 inspired. Another Idea would be Dr. Z's Mazerati GT. Good luck!
Rick360

JeffD

Very slow but persistent
I clicked on the Fuchs ODS50, but didn't read carefully the music that you play. I don't think it would be that good a choice for what you wrote, in retrospect. I'll leave it to others to make suggestions, except that if you like a 2xEL84 amp but need bigger, one of the 30 watt EL84 amps may be the ticket.

LP51122

I'd go for one of the 65 amps, personally. They can get that nice british chime, but also have a lot more gain on tap. And nice cleans.

The guys who do the pro guitar shop demos on youtube use a 65 amps soho and it takes all of the pedals very well, so it's pedal friendly. You could probably get all of the sounds you want with the amp and a couple of pedals.

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
Matchless King Cobra

As you described. Add a gain pedal and you have everything you need. Big fat tones, good chime, good clean headroom, good master, killer reverb and trem. EL34 based and built like a tank for the road.

amp boy

"Here's what I like:
AC-30 clean chime, Orange breakup, Marshall+LP neck pickup creaminess,"
i think here's the main focus.

I may be off here, but i'm thinking Marshall JTM45 with the right speakers.
You got warm clean....cream....pedals for "orange" breakup....speakers to chime in as best they can.

Also would think a Channel switcher and a Voxer 33 amp.
Might want talk to Gabi on that......it may be more of a Grinder on that ef86 side, but i think you could max the volume and control the gain for more of a Chimey sound (speakers too !!!) Then that boost switch could rip it open to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmfeKUNDDYs

: )

Since yer a pro, gigs and all...........i also figure you use some pedals, and i think having that "right/desired" amount of headroom is important for pedals.
Drive on.

I actually just got a really nice OD pedal, and tried it on my 5E3......that kinda was pointless since i like the natural overdrive of the amp......the OD just did more...too far, and i found i could just use my volume on the git to work the drive tones any way.
I can't wait to try it on other amps....the ones i can't KRANK up so much.
Should be cool....it's my first OD too, so i'm kinda learning.

Best with your amp search.

ben_allison

I've just been asked to tour nationally this summer with a band that tends to draw large crowds in crappy venues, therefore I need a LOUD amp that may not get miced. Not 100w Marshall stack loud, but 30-45 watts loud.

Dr Z! His amp get loud, but they give up the goods at club volume.

A Hayseed might worth a gander too...

Last edited:

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Joe Morgan's (aka Mastervolume) MV 3.8K sounds like the ticket. Simple layout, awesome master volume, seperate cab loaded with Alnico Blues. The only draw back, no reverb. It takes pedals extremely well.

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
Joe Morgan's (aka Mastervolume) MV 3.8K sounds like the ticket. Simple layout, awesome master volume, seperate cab loaded with Alnico Blues. The only draw back, no reverb. It takes pedals extremely well.
I gave it a listen, and although it was nice, it didn't seem like what I was looking for. Thanks though, keep the suggestions coming!

bilbal

With the selections given, price is not really a concern - correct? If that's the case, go check out an SLO and be done with it that quickly. The cleans are really very usable (IMO) contrary to popular opinion, the crunch side of the clean channel is just incredible, and the second channel... well, it's an SLO. They also have lifetime warranties which will be perfect since you will be on the road playing regularly. That's not to say that you will need it since they are built like tanks. Just in case something does happen, it's nice to know that your 4000 dollar investment is covered.

Aruntang

Based on your criteria and specifically this:

Here's what I like:
AC-30 clean chime, Orange breakup, Marshall+LP neck pickup creaminess, good picking dynamics, takes pedals well, good clean headroom but decent breakup at a less-than-earsplitting level, onboard reverb, versatility in the form of bright/mid switches, and classy looks.

Here's what I play:
Rock, alternative, indie... Radiohead/Pixies/Coldplay/Killers/G'n'R influenced. Lots of rhythm guitar, going from clean to totally dirty, to kind of dirty, to solo crunch...
Dr. Z Maz 38 all the way! You can definitely coax Vox chime and Marshall/LP Neck Pickup creaminess out of these amps.

dk123123dk

Due to where I live, playing a variety of boutique amps isn't an easy option. I'm looking for a head + cab, not a combo. Thanks.

So here's the deal:
I just got a new Goodsell Super 17, and while it is an AMAZING amp, I need something bigger. I've just been asked to tour nationally this summer with a band that tends to draw large crowds in crappy venues, therefore I need a LOUD amp that may or may not get miced. Not 100w Marshall stack loud, but 30-50 watts loud.

Here's what I like:

Here's what I play:

Before you answer:
I know these amps have different tube configs, price points, options, etc... JUST ANSWER AND TELL ME WHY. I don't need to know how all over the board I am. :)

So... Bruno Underground 30, Two Rock Jet, 65amps Soho/Monterrey, Matchless Chieftan, Dr. Z Maz 38, Swart SST30, Fuchs ODS50, Divided by 13 RSA31, Komet Concorde, Carr Hammerhead or something else?

Kinda off the norm, but what about an Axe FX Ultra? You could get a small 1x12" super clean tube combo with an effects loop and a Neo speaker, and run it via the 4 cable method.

You could also just use the sag control on the Axe to dial in some tube sound and run to a pair of powered monitors. The cool thing about this, is you can run one monitor standing up or on a stand across the stage, and one pointed at you floor monitor style. You can also add a bit of vocals in your floor monitor to hear your singer better, etc.

With a nice small Midi foot pedal, an expression pedal, a tuner if you don't feel like turning around to tune at the rack, you are all set to gig.

Digitech's GSP 1101 looks to be getting good reviews as a modeler as well. One of those and the Digitech Control 2, and a pair of Tech 21 Power Engines would work well too.

Egnater Mod 50 with a VX and a SL2 would work for ya too I bet. Or the M4 and a tube power amp. Keep the axe for the effects. Run a wet/dry/wet setup and blow everyone away... So many options with this new technology.

dk

jnug

With the selections given, price is not really a concern - correct? If that's the case, go check out an SLO and be done with it that quickly. The cleans are really very usable (IMO) contrary to popular opinion, the crunch side of the clean channel is just incredible, and the second channel... well, it's an SLO. They also have lifetime warranties which will be perfect since you will be on the road playing regularly. That's not to say that you will need it since they are built like tanks. Just in case something does happen, it's nice to know that your 4000 dollar investment is covered.
exactly what i was thinking, if 100 watts is to much pull two power tubes and run it at 50 watts. clean channel is nice crunch channel is nice od channel is awesome. both channels respond well to adjusting the guitar volume. built like a brick s#!t house. good luck getting that thing to break. i've been playing soldanos for 5 years now, had just 2 hot rods, and a avenger and now an slo and have never had issues. mike and bill are great guys so if you do have problems or questions they are happy to help.

ryhlick

Take a look at the Pure 64 amps, they re amazing and have replace some of whats on you list. I have a Mean Street Classic and a Mean Street, those two amps with a OD pedals can cover everything you can imagine. Give Mark a call he is the Best! www.puresixtyfour.com

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
Take a look at the Pure 64 amps, they re amazing and have replace some of whats on you list. I have a Mean Street Classic and a Mean Street, those two amps with a OD pedals can cover everything you can imagine. Give Mark a call he is the Best! www.puresixtyfour.com
I've been hearing about Pure 64. Do you have any clips of yours? The P64 site doesn't have alot of content. I'm curious about the curve switch variations.

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
Dr. Z Maz 38 all the way! You can definitely coax Vox chime and Marshall/LP Neck Pickup creaminess out of these amps.
Too bad there are so few online videos/clips. Any more insight into this?

pjrhd28

The Chieftain is much closer to what you are looking for than a Dr. Z maz 38.

When you want Lp neck creaminess, I think you almost have to go with big bottles (El-34's). I think it has a little more headroom than the Z and it sure doesn't compress as much when you really dig in

There are some good clips on you tube of the Matchless Chieftain.

Trending Topics