1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Help on choosing a new amp head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by desertbluesman, Feb 25, 2009.

1. desertbluesman

desertbluesman Member

OK I have $1,150 saved up for a new amp head. My thoughts are the Bogner Alchemist head, or the Egnater Renegade head.

How about some other suggestions in that price range 40-50 watts all tube, and if there are any point to point wired amps with two channels, clean and overdrive, with channel switching and reverb out there I want to know about them even at about 2 grand which is high as I can push this thing.

I won't buy anything off e-bay used, unless it is near Phoenix Arizona, so I can check it out in person.

2. shadowbox

shadowbox Silver Supporting Member

And you definitely need 40-50 watts?

3. Birddog

Birddog Member

Hey Bluesman....

You might be thinking that this is in a different category, but I have a Marshall JVM 210 that is just about what you're talking about.

It's two channel, but has 3 "modes" per channel, and the "orange" and "red" modes on the clean channel are perfect for what you're talking.

My other main amp is a Fender TRRI, but I don't hesitate to play the blues on the Marshall.

And the reverb is great.

I think the 50 watt version (mine is 100) is called the JVM 205, or something like that. A great, flexible amp.

4. desertbluesman

desertbluesman Member

yeah, I am thinking 40-50 watts just in case I get a chance to play out. I think you need at least 40-50 watts to get heard with a loud drummer. I have a Hot Rod Deluxe, and it rocks with my stomps and the JJ Tubes and Tonespotter speaker with a weber beam blocker. But I would like another amp that I can use without any stomps.

5. desertbluesman

desertbluesman Member

Thanks for the offer, I am really not a Marshall amp fan, last one I had was a Plexi wayyyyyy back in the late 1960's or early 70's, it was a great amp but I am more into the old Fender type sound.

6. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

The new Budda VT40, sounds great
    The Rivera Venus 6...

7. Birddog

Birddog Member

I wasn't offering mine......:D

8. desertbluesman

desertbluesman Member

oops. :rotflmao