Help on my OD/distortion quest (Pork Loin? MØLLER? Signa Drive?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mixophrygian, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Mixophrygian

Mixophrygian Member

I, like many of you, am on a quest for the right OD/distortion pedal for my needs. Hoping y'all can help.

I have a Les Paul studio '10 and a Vox Night Train 15 through an Epiphone 1x12 cab (Eminence Lady Luck speaker). I play in a cover band, classic rock through 80's pop to present day stuff.

I like my amp's distortion, so generally I set my amp gain where I need it for a given song, then hit the Bad Monkey for a boost for solos. But we have some songs where I need 3 levels of gain: clean in the verse, distorted for the chorus, plus a boost for the solos, and the NT doesn't have a channel switch.

I'd like a pretty transparent overdrive, something that retains the sound of my amp. A pedal with a built-in boost would be great, or else something that can take a TS-like (Monkey) boosting it for solos. A healthy amount of gain for flexibility would be nice too.

I've tried:
    Digitech Bad Monkey - I don't like this for rhythm (too honky) but gives a nice lead boost.

Way Huge Fat Sandwich - Grabbed it off Craigslist out of curiosity. Nice sound but usually too much gain. It also needs to be run into a very clean amp which isn't always handy. I use it for leads sometimes.

Fulltone OCD - with its popularity I had high hopes but it's not a good fit with my rig. Sounds hollow and rather shrill and adds a lot of grit even at the lowest drive. I turn it on and it's like I'm playing a whole new rig. Unusual I know but very off-putting. Maybe the Vox chime clashes with it?

Pedals I'm considering:
    Way Huge Pork Loin - because I like the Sandwich but need an OD more than a distortion. I've heard great things about this, and I like the ability to mix the clean tone with the overdriven tone.

T-Rex MØLLER - The price seems to be the only downside. Apparently transparent sounding and super flexible: clean boost, OD, or boosted OD. Seems like this would satisfy all three of my gain needs in one pedal. Again I like the clean mix feature. Downside is it's a lot of $$ and I'm not sure how easily I'd be able to flip it if I don't like it.

CMATMods Super Signa Drive
    Fulltone Fulldrive 2 - these two were suggested to me, they seem to also have lots of voicing/clipping options and a bulit-in boost.

Anyone run these through a Vox amp? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

2. Adagietto

Adagietto Supporting Member

I'm curious about this too. I hope you get some good suggestions.

3. johann

johann Member

Wampler Hot wired

4. johann

johann Member

I've been using it for some days, really great pedal

5. turnstylepoet

turnstylepoet Member

+1 for the Pork Loin. It is my main OD at the moment. I absolutely love the PL. The clean blend is very useful and the pedal is very tweakable. It does take a little bit of time because of its tweaking options but it is not hard to find great tones from the little purple box.

6. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

For "pretty transparent" OD. I can't think of anything better than a Barber LTD. I have the V2 and it seems to get more use than anything else I have (I'm getting a 1/2 gainer so it may replace the single channel LTD). I also have a Signa drive. While a nice pedal, I don't consider it to be particularly transparent.