Help on price for a PRS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bonedance, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

My buddy is in ill health and can no longer play. I'm helping him sell some of his guitars. One is a mint, 2003 PRS Custom 22. It's a 10 top with tobacco sunburst finish....vol/tone/5 way rotary, stop tail piece, locking tuners, case, keys and original case info, warranty, etc.

I know so little about these guitars, I don't want to under or over price it! Any info on a fair selling price would be greatly appreciated.

2. scott944

scott944 Member

Running $1500-1900 (asking prices) at GC used.

3. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

4. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

The typical actual selling prices of something of that year and spec typically yields $1500-$1700. Those asking for more usually don't see a result. You may find someone who is willing to pay between $1700 and $1900, but you may be waiting for quite a while.

I've bought and sold a few Custom 22's of that era with those specs. Lowest I've seen was $1400 for a 10 top in a burst finish that had some play wear. Highest was around $1700.

5. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Thank you SingleCutGuy.

6. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

$1500, and expect to lose some on shipping/paypal. Probably $1350 in cash recovery would be my expectation.

7. VDeuce

VDeuce Member

The others above have given good advice.

In addition, might want to do a search for "sold" items matching the description on eBay and get an idea.

8. gulliver

gulliver Member

If you sell online, reverb.com has been gaining traction ... and much lower fees than fee-bay. Can't go wrong with craigslist and tgp emporium.

9. tomc3084

tomc3084 Member

I recently sold/traded PRSi, one was also a 10 Top, but mine was a McCarty Trem. Didn't get no where near the trade value I expected to get. PRS seems to take a hit condition wise more than any other brand. A truly mint 10 top custom 22 should bring around 1500. I'd start pricing it at 1700. Good luck!

10. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

If you are in the Seattle metro, you might take a day and drive the local independent shops in the area to see what they offer, or help set a value. GC has several stores but will be the low price leader.

11. davetone

davetone Member

There is great advice here. As already mentioned, checking eBay's completed listings is a good idea. That way you can see what the going rate is for something as opposed to the asking price. I did that a couple summers ago and was able to let go of a lot of "collectibles" that weren't worth the time/effort to sell. Friends, Goodwill, Half Price Books, the garbage, and recycle were the beneficiaries of that clean-out.

The previous post mentioned local music stores. I have consigned a guitar and also amps to my local music store. Yes, they take 20 to 25%, but everything I have consigned has sold, and I did not have to list anything, package items, etc. And in return they have given me some excellent deals on equipment. For me, and YMMV, it's a big win/win.

Good luck in pricing/selling, and that's very nice of you to help out your friend.

12. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Thank you all so very much for your input, suggestions and expertise. I have sold a ton of guitars over the past 35 years, (from vintage to new to off the wall to homebrews to cheapies) but have little experience with PRS guitars. So thought I would ask those here who do have the expertise.

I did check Ebay and other sites, but could not get a good handle on this particular model. Since my friend is sick (did not give me a price) and trusts me to get a fair price for it, I want to do right by him and the buyer.

He has around 35 guitars and I have 12 of them now I'm getting ready to list. In all the years I've known him though, I've never seen him play anything other than one of his amazing homebrew teles or strats. He takes excellent care of his instruments so coupled with the fact he rarely played this one, it's pretty much pristine.

Once again, I'm grateful for the excellent information.