Help on setting action on my tele

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by teleshred, Aug 13, 2006.

1. teleshred

teleshred Member

Hi, I'm new here..got a problem setting action with my tele..it's a highway 1, has a vintage style 3 saddle bridge..my neck has slight relief..i'm using it more as a shredder guitar, having loaded a tonezone T in the bridge and twang king neck, a little like Kotzen, and trying to achieve a lower action..the rest of the strings are fine but the high E is giving me problems..when i set it low, like probably Ibanez RG low (sorry don't have measurements) it plays ok except that there are bent note chokes like when i bend at the 10th to 19th fret it chokes..is there anyway to achieve a low action yet not have choked notes when bending? Thanks!

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

The notes probably choke out because the Tele has a smaller radius than your Ibby. If that's the cause, there's not much you can do without modding the guitar (e.g., replacement neck).

3. teleshred

teleshred Member

thanks for the help, however i played a musicman VH once with similar or so radius and the action was nice and low, no buzz or choked notes whatsoever..

4. seagate

seagate Member

Sounds like you need a fret level...

5. teleshred

teleshred Member

argh was hoping didn't have to come to that..more $$$ to shell out..I want my RMC..

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Choking out on bends is very common with smaller radius guitars i.e. 7.25 or vintage spec stuff. This is one of the reasons for the flatter boards on the newer guitars. The only way to get around it is higher action. I have mine set at 4/64's on the high e and 5/64's on the low e. IMHO, teles and strats sound better with action anyway, actually all guitars sound better with higher action then lower, there is more string movement.

7. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

If you like lower action and are a shreader I recommend adjusting the neck as flat as possible with almost no relief. This allows you to get the action as low as possible without fretting out. Set your high E at 2/32" at the 12th fret. Hope this helps