Help Organize My Board (Buffer Dilemma)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by matthornet, Feb 20, 2012.

1. matthornet

matthornet Member

I recently purchased a newer make of the Boss TR-2 & enjoy it very much. But I have a problem with it's placement on my board. Here was my previous setup before the trem;

Pitchblack > Diamond J-Drive > BOR > DD-5 > EB VP > Nova Delay > RV-5

I know it seems a little weird to have the DD-5 right before the VP but the buffer really fixes up what the 250k VP does to my tone. I can say that I'm really happy with my tone in this arrangement. So this is the hard part, I tried placing the TR-2 after the BOR & before DD-5... Totally changed my bypass signal for the worse. A bite off the highs & lows, loss of presence & volume. Did an A/B with & without the TR-2 there in the chain & the difference was night & day. I have not tried to place it anywhere further down the chain assuming all the rest are buffered. So next I tried the TR-2 first in the chain. No loss of tone with a perceived bump in volume but the dynamics were all gone... No matter how hard or soft I pick it sounds rather flat. I also noticed that the BOR fizzed out a little with a buffer up front even on a low gain setting. I am aware of the buffer first & last in the chain theory & I've tried a few options but a buffer first in line never sounded natural enough for me. Do you guys think I already have too many buffers anyway?

2. matthornet

matthornet Member

3. matthornet

matthornet Member

4. johann

johann Member

IMHO:

You have too much buffers

Had the same problem years ago, right now I'm using the wampler clean buffer first in the chain and it sounds natural, check some dedicated buffers