Help out a newbie with Scarbee...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by mojazzmo, Feb 25, 2009.

1. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Hello All,
    I am kind of embarrassed to even ask this question but here goes...How do I use Scarbee J-Fingered in my recording set up? I use an older version of Sonar 2.0 and have an old edirol soft synth that is the main sound for my midi bass tracks. It is so old and the sounds are terrible compared to what's out there now. I am looking at upgrading to Stylus RMX for my drum grooves and was thinking about Trilogy for bass but in another thread someone suggested Scarbee. I checked them out and for my style, jazz-funk-blues-fusion, I really loved the J-Fingered sounds BUT.................How do I use it if it is a sample library? I have only ever used midi bass with a soft syth. Your help is greatly appreciated. Man, I feel like an idiot asking this question sop please don't flame me too bad. :huh

2. elambo

elambo Member

I'm surprised you bought Scarbee without knowing how it works. It requires a sample playback engine, like Kontakt, which is what I use.

For a list of suggested samples, write to Thomas directly. His address is info_at_scarbee.com

If you have Scarbee, buying Trilogy would be a step in the wrong direction.

3. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Thanks. I haven't bought anything yet, I am just trying to figure out how to use the product. I loved the sounds. So how does it work with a sample playback engine? How do I integrate this into sonar so I can build a bass track?? I know this may seem child like to many but I have never entered this realm and am just looking for some help and advice. Thanks in advance.

4. Bussman

Bussman Member

Scarbee J-Fingered is a Giga library, you'll need Gigastudio or a sampler that reads Giga libraries.

J-Slap 'n Fingered is a Kontakt 1.5/Halion library. The Red and Black Basses are Kontakt 2 libraries.

Have fun!

<edit>Bring up your sampler of choice as a VST instrument (or however sonar integrates soft synths) and assign to a MIDI track. Compose (record) your bass part into said MIDI track. I don't use Sonar so you'll have to read the manual for the specifics.</edit>

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Thanks Bussman. I am slowly getting it. Is there a common universal sample player out there? With what you are saying about the the listed Scarbee products, are you telling me that each of the different Scarbee products you list require a different player??? Thanks in advance!!

6. Bussman

Bussman Member

I use LinuxSampler to play Giga files so I'm not the best reference, however...

Kontakt seems to have the lion's share of the market. I believe it will load all of Scarbee's offerings without problems. If you are considering J-Fingered though, why not save a little and get Red Bass? It's the same library updated with the latest programming tricks.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  7. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Red bass looks very cool but will it work with Kontakt 3? It doesn't appear that you can just buy a Kontakt player but only bundled with a library like Kontakt 3. It gets so confusing!!! It looks like Kontakt 3 is the only version now available but Red Bass works with version 2. I emailed Scarbee to get their suggestions. Thanks.