Help pick a delay for this application

guit_lar

Hi, I'm looking for a delay pedal for a pretty specific application. It would be used almost always in front of an overdriven amp, and with overdrive pedals behind it. Used most often to support lead playing. Not at all interested in Edge-type rhythmic stuff. I want pretty subtle echoes, but not to muddy up the band sound.
Based on reading other posts, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Carbon Copy, TC Flashback maybe...
I don't really care if it is analog or digital...as long as it doesn't sound digital. Don't really need tap tempo.
Under $200.
The Flashback has all those capabilities, I'd probably find one setting and just leave it, but most people speak so favorably about it maybe it's the one...
Opinions/experiences?

Codyh630

If you're looking for something that's simple, cheap and good sounding, I would look into the Rogue Analog Delay. You can get them for anywhere between $30 and $50. Very nice and simple unit.

crazyForce

BTW, I'm with the OP, and looking for a delay to go in front of an overdriving amp. I've read that the MP Deep Blue was designed for this purpose. Anybody care to add their experience with the pedal in this capacity? Or any other delay in front of an OD pedal or overdriving amp?

guit_lar

Analog is less likely to sound digital.
Gee thanks...I didn't think of that....
The point is that it's more important to work in front of the amp with overdrive & other pedals, and to sound "good" (not cheap plinky digital crap), than how the circuit is actually built...
Any other experiences with the Carbon Copy? At least one thread claims it turns to mush with a lot of overdrive...haven't had one myself...

tonejunky

I was half-kidding, but I was suggesting that you can eliminate the possibility of 'cheap digi-sound' if you go with analog. I have heard tons of great things about the TC Flashback, and it does not seem to have the overly processed tinny sound that you're trying to avoid. As far as analog .. I picked up an Aqua Puss at a reasonable price and I like it. If you arn't dying for more than 300ms of delay, that one might be a good one for you to try out.

mspizziri

I have been looking for the same thing and I have really liked the clips I have heard of the Subdecay Echo Box and Wampler Faux Tape Echo

mlt1214

I think if you want a delay that doesn't muddy up your sound and will be used primarily for lead work, you shouldn't automatically rule out a digital delay. I love my flashback for the versatility and the great tone and I think you should give it a try.

tonejunky

I've never heard anyone talk about it or anything by SolidGoldFX here on TGP, but the Electroman seems like a good one.

slyzspyz

sounds like you want a basic digital delay eg Boss DD-2 or 3
I use two analogue delays on my board but in front of a "mostly" clean amp, they are pretty dark and thick. If the amp is distorting I'd want a thinner delay sound which digital is good at, the amp gain will compress the delay signal and make it louder than expected so the pedal's level control needs to be turned way low (given the OP wants subtle echoes)

Trending Topics