Help pick out a 6L6GC for me....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

I am currently on the search for a new quad of 6L6GC's for my 1959 SLP reissue. Currently, there are Mesa 6L6GC's in the amp now, but are needing a new set soon.
    I think I have it down to the SED winged "C" 6L6GC's, or the RUBY 6L6GCMSTR's. If any one has had some expirience with either one of these brands, please by all means submit your opinions on thier tone charactors, dynamics,and performance, fire them at me.
    If any one has any other suggestions as manufacturer type, I am open to those suggestions as well.
    I haven't had much education on the Mesa 6L6GC's that are currently in the amp, but something tells me there are better 6L6Gc's on the market. I am speaking of current production tubes.
    Thank you for your time and efforts,
    Mass

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I like the SEDs also check out the JJ6L6GC I find they have more low end plus they are a very well made tube and not expensive!

Check out the link below for Eurotubes.com

http://www.eurotubes.com

3. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

SED all the way....

It's all I use.

4. modoc

modoc Guest

JJ's in my OD-100...sounds great :)

5. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

It's all really how they hit you I guess.
    I have had the =C='s, and loved thier punch, charactor and performance.
    But....I never had a chance to A/B them against the JJ's. I didn't know if there was some extreme difference in the two.
    Funny, I have a full matched quad of the old RUBY's, and they still sound wonderful, being that they are in a second hand amp sitting in my BSMT.

Thanks guys, keep it comming if you like.
    Best regards, Mass

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Winged C's, Also like the TAD short bottle version. Sounds more like my old short bottle phillips.

7. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

MSTR's worked great in SF twin. Rolled a little high end off and stiffened the lows.

8. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I used SED for years but fitted some TAD 6l6GCs in my Engl Savage SE last November and I think they are way better then the SEDs, at least for my taste.

9. shakti

shakti Member

Why 6L6? Just asking since it's by default an EL34 amp.

I think the standard Mesa 6L6s are Chinese, and then there's an upgraded version which is the SED. At least I think that was the case a few years ago.

If you're really serious about using 6L6 in that amp (sounds like an odd choice to me, but if you like the sound, go for it!), I would say SED and JJ are probably your best bet for current production.

For NOS/used old stock, it's hard to beat JAN Philips 7581 for availability and price. Those tubes are near-indestructible, will probably last a lifetime. They do, however, excel in clean sounds and have quite a scooped sound. Wonderful for clean tubes in blackface Fenders (Super Reverb or Twin Reverb, for instance) and pretty much *the* tube for Boogie Mk series amps.

10. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

I A/B'd the SEDs and the JJ 6L6 in my Vibrolux Reverb, and while they both sounded great, I liked the Winged Cs better. Quite subjective and obviously a matter of personal taste (and hearing!), but to me they sounded a little browner and rounder - the JJs didn't seem quite as warm and organic to me.

Signinficant bias difference between the two as well, at least in the pairs I tried.