Help pick the right delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jack Dotson, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

I'm wanting to get a nice delay, but something that doesn't color my tone too badly. I would like to have tap delay if at all possible and to keep things fairly simple in operation. None of my amps have an effects loop so it will be used in front of the pre. I like messing around with different types of dealys, but first and foremost I want a delay that sounds really good and something with delay times that will allow me to get some of those nice Pink Floyd types of delays. My max budget would be `$300.

Here's the short list I've come up with after much reading and would like to hear you choice between these and why:

Boss-DD7
    EH Stereo MM
    MXR CC

These seem to be the leaders from what I've read, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

BTW, the DMM seems to be a majority favorite and I haven't totally ruled it out, but I think it might be too limited with short delay time, no tap tempo, etc.
    Thanks.

2. m@2

m@2 Member

i own both of these, but don't think they will work for you. The DMM is a great delay, and can do the Floyd thing, but no tap. Maybe check out the TC or Moog stuff?

3. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

second hand trex replica!
    that's how much they usually go for, that's what I did.
    love it!

4. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

I own a DD-7 and among those pedals, I think this is your best bet. I've played with a Line6 DL4, Boss DD20, DD5, and DD6 and in terms of functionality, the DD-7 was probably the easiest to use. In terms of sound, I think the EH MM has a slightly better sound but the DD-7 has the most flexibility. Everything but the modulate setting on the DD-7 sounds great and would suit all that you are looking for.

5. jb1984

jb1984 Member

I would say get yourself a Carbon Copy and an Echo Park. That way, you get a real analog-y mod sound (like the DMM) and a trailing/tap-tempo feature with the Echo Park.

6. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

if you could get into the $350 range--an echolution would be it.

7. Franktone

Franktone Member

Check out the Skreddy delay comments on the thread nearby on TGP.

8. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

TC Electronics Nova
    I'm getting one soon, as they not only have tap, but you can set bpm, or play the rate to set it, which I believe is a unique feature.

9. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

The Skreddy doesn't have tap tempo, not sure how important that is to the OP.

If you want rich, modulated analog delay sound, the DMM is still the standard-bearer. But as the OP noted, it doesn't have tap tempo and is limited to about 400 ms. New they can be found for $300 or less.

For a high quality non-modulated delay with tap tempo, I'd also vote for the TRex Replica. I just found a new TC Vintage Delay (same pedal, different name) for under $250, I think they're being closed out. This pedal has fewer features than a DD-7 or DD-20, but it sounds fatter, richer. I'm impressed with the features & sound of the DD-7 & DD-20, and they offer good value for the price, but they do sound a bit smallish compared to a DMM and/or the Replica.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  10. Philly Fuzz

Philly Fuzz Member

Well, $325 actually but hey who's counting? ;)

11. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Right you are, my mistake!

12. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

The DD-7 is great and very versatile, but tonewise for the music you're describing you might want to check out the Maxon AD999. The EH DMM is another great one, but the AD999 has big fat echoes that rules for Floyd type stuff. Very transparent as all Maxons seem to be.

13. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

I have to get in on this thread because I also need a good Delay and don't know what are the better choices out there.

I know the DD7 looks great on paper, but I haven't heard a good comparison of its tones to some of the others mentioned here.

14. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I don't understand why more people here don't talk about the DLS Echo Tap - its digital, but sounds analog, it has tap-tempo and a tone control to brighten or darken up the tone of the repeats. Really a very nice delay - and in your price range.

15. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Thanks to everyone for the advise and recommendations. I dropped by the GC today and there was practically no there so I got to test drive all the delay pedals they had on hand. Tried the stereo memory man, carbon copy, DD-20 and DD-7, echo park, DL-4 and TC ND-1 Nova.

This was an eye opening experience. I could easily have lived with just about any of these pedals, but I chose the TCE ND-1 Nova. It had the features I was looking for, is fairly straight forward to use and sounds great to my ears.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

16. Philly Fuzz

Philly Fuzz Member

I only know because that's what my bank statement says....with a (-) sign before it!!! ouch!! :rotflmao