Help picking a laptop

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by kaleidoskope, Mar 18, 2006.

1. kaleidoskope

kaleidoskope Guest

I'm about to buy a laptop to work use and would obviously like to pick one the will allow me to work my music too. Mainly I will be recording guitar and voice, maybe later use it for live recording etc. There's so much choice I don't even know where to start. Intel or AMD? I've had more user advising to pick up an AMD based one as they say these are better (from their experience). On the Intel side, Pentium IV or centrino? What about the dual core ones that ar coming out just now? Too much choice is paralizing don't you thing? :)

Help!

2. ZenFly06

ZenFly06 Member

Just get the most memory, and fastest processor you can afford! If I were doing this, I would try to get a AMD or the higher end Intel. Other than that, an external firewire drive for music file storage and a MOTU Traveler would about do it.

It always comes down to budget. If you have deep pockets, go for a fully loaded monster..anything less you have tradeoffs in performance and reliability.

3. noises ten

noises ten Member

The new Macbook pro is SWEEETT!!!!

Runs on an intel chip as well....

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

JMO... but the difference in processing power between an iBook and a Powerbook these days is just not worth the money. Unless you really anticipate needing the additional disk space and larger screen, you can probably put the $700 you'll save to better use.

I believe the only DAW software currently up and running on that system is Logic.

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

With the addition of the MacBook, Powerbook pricing has dropped and will continue to do so. The 12" Powerbook is probably the best value for this...a few hundred more than the iBook and you get better resolution, doubled hard drive space, and faster processor. Throw in 1gb of memory and you've got yourself a stellar portable studio!

However, I'd keep my eyes peeled for April 1st...won't be surprised if Apple makes some more computer announcements.

As of May, Pro Tools will be a Universal app as well. Free update for PT 7.0 users.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

>> The 12" Powerbook is probably the best value for this...a few hundred more than the iBook

15" Powerbook vs. 14" iBook: $700 more.

>> better resolution

The 15" screen resolution is slightly better for audio editing, but not by much. Believe me because I've used both now, and they're both barely adequate. 12" is too small to be practical.

>> doubled hard drive space,

Not quite... 80G vs. 60

>> and faster processor.

1.67 GHz vs. 1.42

>> Throw in 1gb of memory

Powerbook: 512M built-in, expandable to 2G (about $165 for full upgrade)
    iBook: 512M built-in, expandable to 1.5G (about $105 for full upgrade)

Difference: 512M and additional $60

I don't feel that the difference of 1" of diagonal screen real estate, .25 GHz processing, 20G of storage and 512M of RAM is worth $760. But if you do, I won't argue.