1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help please from Anderson experts

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by ducmike, Feb 6, 2006.

1. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I have been considering an HSH or HSS guitar lately. I think I have it narrowed down to a Tom Anderson. I just have a few questions about them.
    I have noticed 2 different trems called vintage, was there a running change, or 2 styles available? Is the trem arm a pop-in style or screw-in? What is the typical dealer discount %? Can anyone recommend a dealer?

I found an 04 model today at a local GC, it's a droptop, basswood w/walnut top, H1-SA1-H2+, trem, 5 way, mini-split and pull tone for bridge and vintage voicing. I played it for about an hour through a Marshall 18 watt combo, and I'm very impressed. Blown away infact. I was amazed at how good the split tones were, very Straty. And how well it responded to volume and tone adjustments. The problem with this one is the typically unrealistic GC boutique pricing. They want $2499 for it (the tag in the case lists it at 3500), and didn't seem to interested in discounting it at all. I think I could buy it new at that price from research I have done. I thought it was odd that they felt they could get new pricing for a used guitar. FWIW, I have bought alot of highend gear there, and they know me. Can anyone help with a real market value for a similiar guitar?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

Before you do anything, you need to go to Charley's Guitar Shop in Dallas. Ask for Brian. Tell him Jay sent you. He is the #1 Anderson dealer in the U.S. (#2 if you ask Wildwood or Magdon). Brian runs www.andersonalley.com and you can see what he has in stock on the site. I've bought over a dozen Andersons from him. Amazing Anderson player.

$2,499 is WAY too much to pay for a used Anderson IMHO. I order new ones built to my specs for less than that. Is it the GC in Dallas on LBJ? Please don't pay that for that guitar, you will be kicking yourself. I "rescued" a Classic T from Dallas Central Expy GC that was on the shelf there for a year. They wanted $1999 and I got it for $1400. Problem with GC is that they are paying $1500-$1700 for used Andersons just to have them. Put them in their "high end" room.

In terms of what model, go play some. You can get the H-S-H or H-S-S in quite a few flavors. Make sure you check into the M pickups as well. They cover the sonic ground between a humbucker and a single coil, but without the ground buzz of most P-90s.

I'll be happy to try and answer any specific questions, or you can go to www.andersonforum.com Tom and a few of the guys that make the guitars (Bruce and Roy) hang out there.

Good luck!

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

2500 sounds pretty good, anytime you can get near 30% off list you are doing pretty well.

Sorry, I read too fast, I thought it was $2500 new.

4. RGN

RGN Member

I agree with Sylvanshine completely. I have bought a lot of gear from Brian at Charlies in the last few months and have been very happy. You can't get any better service IMO. I have a Pro Am T and love the hell out of it.

5. Kappy

Kappy Member

Do yourself a favor and check ebay for the price of used Andersons. Make sure you take note of which ones actually sell vs. which auctions end with no buyers (b/c the price is too high). I don't think you should have to pay any more than $2k even for any used Anderson, esp. one that's almost 2 years old (except Crowdsters and Atoms, they might go a bit higher). Try more like $1700. for one in excellent to practically new condition. And more often than not, they go lower than that.

Good luck!

6. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

Is that the metallic orange one?

7. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

I would expect a $2499 price tag on a new one with room to play......but not on a used one . Used Andersons around here fetch $1400-$1800 in the models you're looking for. I've got 6 Andersons , four I picked up used, three at $1500 each and one with a personal selection I just had to have that was a wee bit more.
    Dave C

8. mwoeppel

mwoeppel Member

+1 on Charlie's and Brian. I've bought several Andys from him.

Used, you'll do best on eBay - figure about $1700-$1800 for that guitar. New, probably another $1,000.

9. RGN

RGN Member

Yes, with a Floyd. The pickups are growing on me but still pretty weird compared to the Duncans I have been using for years. I LOVE the split coil sounds though. It sounds very, very strat like.

10. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

+1 on all the recommendations to see Brian Harris @ Charley's. This guy lives and breathes Andersons. The Anderson website is very good. Check it out at www.andersonguitars.com Go look at the guitar gallery. It can give you great ideas about finishes and pickup combinations available.

I also agree with the rest of the advice here concerning price. I can't explain it, but used Andersons are ridiculously inexpensive and represent some of the best buys on guitars you can get.

Anderson is one of the instruments that I would not hesitate to buy without having played the instrument in question (over the web) because the quality and consistency are so great. Be aware of the different scale lengths and mahogany necks availbale on Cobras (available in T and S styles). This scale and neck is my favorite. Also be aware that Anderson pickups (except single coils) are not interchangable with other brands (slightly different in size) without some guitar modifications.

Have fun guy - shopping all the possible Andersons is a blast!

11. ducmike

Thanks for all the replys. I wouldn't pay there price, I was just bitching about it. The guy looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I get a new one for that price. I'll get in touch with Brian, the problem is I'm open the exact same hours as Charley's. I couldn't find the trem answer on the Anderson sight.
    I might just have to keep an eye on ebay.

12. Kappy

Kappy Member

Good luck. I see a bunch go for sale here on the emporium and on the Anderson forum as well, so if you have some time to wait, the perfect model will definitely show up in one of those places.

13. fractal

fractal Member

Problem? Wow, I think I might just head to GC with my used Anderson. I can't seem to unload mine.

Is this true?

-Garrett

14. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

One great thing about Anderson guitars is the consistancy. You can buy a used one and it will be an amazing playing guitar. Everything that has been said here is true, and that is WAY too much for a used Andy.

Brian is definately "the" guy to speak with, he'll give you the straight scoop and a fantastic deal. Truely one of the best dealers I've ever purchased gear from. He often has used Andy's too

good luck with your search!

Richard

15. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

One of the Dallas area GCs has a manager who is/was buying Andersons to stock their Collectibles Room. I've heard from some of the local Anderson guys that they are getting around $1,500. Then they mark them up $1,000 for resale.

Garrett, I've seen your piece, and it's super cool. But, as has been discussed here before, the beauty (and downfall) of Andersons (and others) is that you can spec out what you want and have it built. Your HTC is very customized and that might be why it's not moving. The right buyer will come along, be patient.

16. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

It's all he plays. The amps come and go, but Andersons are the constant.

17. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Definitely head over to the Anderson forum and ask questions about trems, etc, over there.

18. ducmike

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll head over to the Anderson forum. A nice blue one just popped up on ebay, but I don't think it has vintage voicing.

Hi Andersonguy, how's the Hamer working out? My Koll still hasn't arrived, so I'm missing the P90's.

19. Kappy

Kappy Member

I went over and had a look at what's on ebay. It's funny. All the ones that are seriously overpriced ($2400 and up) were posted by (SURPRISE!) Guitar Center. 99% of the others (all nice looking ones) are under $2k.

20. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i've got a walnut/basswood HDT with switcheroo and vintage trem...I'll prolly have to unload it in the coming months...a very sweet, sweet guitar i got from Suriel Zayas.

dave