Help please honky tone

J Sudjian

Help with honky tone and new cab​

I’ve had a peavey 6505+ now for a few years but with a 412 crate Excalibur cab.

Ive been playing with a les paul with 57 classics.

mostly playing thrash and metal, Napalm death and obituary and anthrax like stuff.

I knew these pups were not good for that but it wasn’t to bad.

so I just picked up a soldano 412

now it sounds even honkier

no even close to all the videos and songs I hear.

I don’t have another guitar to try right now, but for metal, it’s just honky and weird.

it’s gotta be these pups right, not that cab

maybe now the better cab is showing the true colors of these pups

cab has v30

Last edited:

J Factor

Silver Supporting Member
I liked my old '90s '57 classics a lot, not my favorite for heavy stuff, but they can do it. I wouldn't start changing pickups if swapping cabs made a change you didn't like ... that's the path to a never-ending rabbit hole.

What speakers are in the two cabs? I think Soldano equips V30s as standard in their current 412s.

I find V30s sound great recorded but are all mid-honk in the room at low to moderate volumes. This can be surprising if you're used to hearing bands recorded loud. If your use case is mostly at home, you might prefer a different speaker. I think you'll find at band volumes, with a bass and drums to fill out the sound, the V30s work great - but isolated, yeah, they honk.

mAx___

If the sound changed when you changed cabs, it's the cab. The fastest and easiest way to change your amp's sound is by switching speakers. So I'd say it definitely is the cab. Check what speakers are in there first thing.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve had a peavey 6505+ now for a few years but with a 412 crate Excalibur cab. ....Ive been playing with a les paul with 57 classics. ....so I just picked up a soldano 412 .... now it sounds even honkier....maybe now the better cab is showing the true colors of these pups
Not likely - the new cabinet is showing the Honkiness your new cabinet - I would check the speakers - and/or adjust the eq to better match your setup.

mcknigs

Silver Supporting Member
I've gotten a weird honky tone out of a cab that had speakers accidentally wired out of phase. Get it so you can see all the speakers. Plug in a speaker cable. Touch the poles of a nine volt battery to the tip and sleeve of the other end of the speaker cable. The speakers should move in or out. If they don't all move in the same direction, something is out of phase.

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
If there are covers on your pickups I would suggest removing those. i find that they add to honkiness.

Axe-Man

So have you opened it up and confirmed they are V30s? I’d check as V30s aren’t honky.

J Sudjian

Are we allowed to say “honky?”
lmao, yes.

Goose like honky geese horny even lol.

anyways, yes 4x12, yes it imported v30s i checked, and it certainly sounds nothing like expected, especially the fact that its almost impossible to eq out that tone.

you got GnR honky, Metallica honky, and Napalm Death Honky.

Im gonna try dif guitars tonight.

GreatGreen

My first thought is that the honk is coming from the 6505+. It's got very aggressive filtering on the lows going into the amp which means it can get a little half-cocked-wah sounding.

I'd recommend reducing the mids with the amp's mid knob and running a graphic EQ into the front that also scoops some mids from the guitar. That way the loudest frequencies will be the treble, which till hopefully just make your tone crunchy instead of honky.

J Sudjian

guys, we have a huge problem.........we have an idiot in the forums, and its me.

Somehow during setting this rig up, my Cantrell Wha pedal got clicked on, and having no indicator light, and being just in the middle range, I finally told myself ok this fn cab cant sound like this but this sound is super familiar, yep, the stupid ass thing was on this entire time.

I had unplugged all the pedals except that one, but thought it was.

So now, Im testing this cab out some more lmao.

So, go ahead with the flaming, just dont carried away, my Jean Reno side might come out.

Pongo

guys, we have a huge problem.........we have an idiot in the forums, and its me.

Somehow during setting this rig up, my Cantrell Wha pedal got clicked on, and having no indicator light, and being just in the middle range, I finally told myself ok this fn cab cant sound like this but this sound is super familiar, yep, the stupid ass thing was on this entire time.

I had unplugged all the pedals except that one, but thought it was.

So now, Im testing this cab out some more lmao.

So, go ahead with the flaming, just dont carried away, my Jean Reno side might come out.
No flaming here. I've spent literal months hunting down sonic gremlins only to discover – usually after completely giving up all hope – that the gremlin was me all along.

So how does it sound now? The 57 Classics might not be ideal for the tones you're chasing, but hopefully you are at least in the ballpark of what you're after now?

maxbrothman

Forget about everything you see and heard about dialing in amps. Do it all blind. If your mids are on 1 and it sounds great then that's it. If you only need the gain at 1 or 2, then that's it. If trebs are on 1, then that's it. If bass needs max, then that's it. Roll your guitar knobs. Do this all direct to amp without pedals.

Still honky?

Greenbacks are not as honky as V30. Take out the top two V30s and replace them with Greenbacks or Creamback depending on how much wattage you want to handle. It isn't too much of a difference between them. The idea is that the V30s are chest thumps and the "backs" for comfortable at ear level.

Still honky? Full tube change.

You can't go wrong owning some "backs" anyway.

Good luck.

J Sudjian

Forget about everything you see and heard about dialing in amps. Do it all blind. If your mids are on 1 and it sounds great then that's it. If you only need the gain at 1 or 2, then that's it. If trebs are on 1, then that's it. If bass needs max, then that's it. Roll your guitar knobs. Do this all direct to amp without pedals.

Still honky?

Greenbacks are not as honky as V30. Take out the top two V30s and replace them with Greenbacks or Creamback depending on how much wattage you want to handle. It isn't too much of a difference between them. The idea is that the V30s are chest thumps and the "backs" for comfortable at ear level.

Still honky? Full tube change.

You can't go wrong owning some "backs" anyway.

Good luck.
yeah a couple posts up i mention how the problem this entire time is my damn wah pedal was still plugged in and on.

unreal

that was the goosy sound lol.

J Sudjian

No flaming here. I've spent literal months hunting down sonic gremlins only to discover – usually after completely giving up all hope – that the gremlin was me all along.

So how does it sound now? The 57 Classics might not be ideal for the tones you're chasing, but hopefully you are at least in the ballpark of what you're after now?
Much better lol.

Now like you say, i think i need to try some emg81s maybe...........

my bigger concern is I know my 6505+ isnt sounding as heavy grindy chuggy as it should.

Im thinking because I havnt changed any tubes since i got it like 5 years ago used?

J Sudjian

just a quik pic

Attachments

• 20220624_213122.jpg
    20220624_213122.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 15

LaXu

Much better lol.

Now like you say, i think i need to try some emg81s maybe...........

my bigger concern is I know my 6505+ isnt sounding as heavy grindy chuggy as it should.

Im thinking because I havnt changed any tubes since i got it like 5 years ago used?
You absolutely do not need EMGs. Your amp has tons of gain as it is so what do you need more output for? It's probably not too noisy either and low capacitance cables are not too expensive so low output impedance isn't needed either.

Since everything is working you are unlikely to need new tubes either.

If you have the space try putting the cab somewhere else. Corners are usually not the best place to put speakers.

Top Bottom