HELP PLEASE I Need a good amp to power a Talkbox

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AnalogGuy1200, Feb 19, 2015.

1. AnalogGuy1200

AnalogGuy1200 Member

Hey all...

Bought a nice Heil talkbox and need to power this bad boy without blowing it. trying to keep it under 50 obviously. ANY recommendations and/or pictures of your rigs if any of you have one, would be most appreciated. THANKS!!

-Doc
    :hide2

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. loudboy

loudboy Member

How about one of the E-H mini-amps, in a pedal format?

[​IMG]

3. demea26

demea26 Member

I believe Joe Perry uses a Jet City JCA20 for that purpose

4. AnalogGuy1200

AnalogGuy1200 Member

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

6. AnalogGuy1200

AnalogGuy1200 Member

Not understanding if your kidding, or if one of these amps will work. Any other recommendations?

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

Why wouldn't the mini EH work - it puts out 30 watts, more than enough.

Tonal quality doesn't really matter - you're attenuating everything by running it into a HF driver. Altho the EH seems to sound fine in clips I've heard.

8. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

The mic you use at the end of the plastic tube will make a much bigger differance that the amp you power it with.

9. sfryette

sfryette Member

There are a lot of talkbox solutions out there. Some have a built-in amp and driver with a distortion circuit. The distortion is key to a good talkbox sound. Some like the Heil have just a driver, blocking capacitor and bypass switch. I made my own before they became commercially available and learned a lot about making them work and sound good.

The Heil uses your main amp as the drive amp. The blocking cap keeps low frequencies out to help prevent blowing the diaphragm. Unfortunately, if you have your amp cranked to get a good crunchy, sustaining wah sound, the amp doesn't like that capacitor. You can use a low cost tube amp and an A/B box instead of using the Heil bypass switch. But I would still put a dummy load resistor inside the box so you get a better cranked amp sound.

If you have a 100W amp and don't want to blow the driver or damage the amp, put 2 load resistors in series inside that can handle 100W total - space permitting of course - and connect the driver input capacitor to the junction of the 2 resistors. A couple of 8 ohm resistors in series should be a good choice assuming your main amp is a 16 ohm half stack.

To get a really screaming talkbox sound and feel while keeping your rig manageable, you're likely going to end up with something slightly custom. I guess it's down to how anal you want to get. I got really into refining mine. It had a replacable diaphragm and heavy gauge cables to the amp - a Hiwatt 100 halfstack. That thing screamed :)

10. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Just about ANY small practice amp will work. Fender Frontman, Peavey Backstage, Marshall MG series. The Electro Harmonix thing would probably work great. This is not an application where "tone" is going to matter.

11. 1moreknob

1moreknob Supporting Member

I've got an Epiphone Valve JR head that works great for this. Let me know if youre interested, as its just sitting

12. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I used to use a small Fender Bronco. Then I got tired of carrying extra gear so I got a RT Banshee. I recently picked up the new MXR talk box and it sounds really good and it's self powered as well.