1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help please-press in tuner bushings

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ChrisB, Jul 17, 2006.

1. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

What is the best way to install the Kluson press in tuner bushings on a Les Paul without having to use too much force?

Thanks

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

You do have to use quite a lot of force, the trick is to do it in a controlled manner.

I use two pieces of wood (softwood behind headstock, hardwood over the bushing) and a G clamp. You'll feel like you need four hands the first time you do it but it's quite easy to get the hang of.

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Good idea, I will try that. Cheers John

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Chris, if you have access to a drill press, that can do the work very easily and quickly. Just put a 1/2" dowel in the drill chuck as a drift and go nice and easy. Piece of pie! ;)

5. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Thanks for the help guys. :AOK

I used a G-clamp, a piece of soft wood underneath and a little vaseline and it worked great. (No sniggering in the back there...:p )

Was a little nervous as I was waiting for the horrible sound of splitting wood with each turn...

Thanks again.

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

I use a reamer, and take 1/2 turns until just the tip of the bushing will start into the headstock, then use the clamp method as above. It takes a bit of the "fear of splitting" out of the process. BE CAREFUL! A half turn can remove plenty of wood!!