• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help please--Similar to an HD-28?

jkg

Gold Supporting Member
I am looking for a an acoustic similar to a Martin HD-28, but with a cutaway and installed electronics.

Basically, I have an HD-28, love it to death, and do not want to modify it by adding electronics. I have a chance to start playing some gigs doing some lead accompany stuff and maybe some solo stuff--I like everything about my HD-28, inlcuding the boomy bass and focused top end. I am adverse to overly bright top end/guitars, and I pick pretty hard.

Thoughts? New performing artist series? Taylor? Discontinued Martin? I am open to ideas.

Thanks.

lamenlovinit

Well, honestly go in to as many guitar stores as you can, and play every used rosewood dread with a cutaway they have. Pay less attention to the acoustic sound and more to the plugged in. Get the one that is most "plug and play", and that doesn't crash and burn when you dig in hard. You never know what you'll find since they are all individuals. Might surprise you and be a Taylor (which you are already open to :beer), a Larrivee traditional, a Tak, whatever...

royd

You aren't going to find something truly analogous to an HD28 with a cutaway and installed electronics... the closest might be one of the performing artist Martins like the DCPA1 but I doubt that it will sound like an HD28. And nobody else makes a guitar that sounds like that Martin unless you spend more money... like a SCGC, Collings, H&D, Bourgeois...

why don't you want to add electronics? There are lots of ways to do so without making any significant modifications to your guitar. You don't even have to drill out the endpin hole if you don't want to (use a Vintage Jack)... A soundboard transducer with an external pre-amp adds next to nothing, a magnetic can generally be removed when you want it out, if your settings allow, there are even a few clamp on microphones like the K&K Meridian... If your concern is really about changing the HD28, that can be addressed. If you don't want to play out with that guitar, that is a different question but don't expect to get a guitar that sounds like your good one without investing similar resources.

jkg

Gold Supporting Member
You aren't going to find something truly analogous to an HD28 with a cutaway and installed electronics... the closest might be one of the performing artist Martins like the DCPA1 but I doubt that it will sound like an HD28. And nobody else makes a guitar that sounds like that Martin unless you spend more money... like a SCGC, Collings, H&D, Bourgeois...

why don't you want to add electronics? There are lots of ways to do so without making any significant modifications to your guitar. You don't even have to drill out the endpin hole if you don't want to (use a Vintage Jack)... A soundboard transducer with an external pre-amp adds next to nothing, a magnetic can generally be removed when you want it out, if your settings allow, there are even a few clamp on microphones like the K&K Meridian... If your concern is really about changing the HD28, that can be addressed. If you don't want to play out with that guitar, that is a different question but don't expect to get a guitar that sounds like your good one without investing similar resources.
I fully understand and acknowledge that I will not get the exact same tone out of a cutaway as I will out of my current guitar--I am just trying to use it as a baseline reference for what I am looking for. And I am looking for a plug and play acoustic ideally with volume and some tone control so I can adjust if necessary. I appreciate the suggestions for minimally invasive electronic options and it's not that I have some unreasonable aversion to the concept--but it will not get me a cutaway.

oldman22

Martin DC-16RGTE if you need the cutaway.
Martin HD-28E if you can live with out.
Martin HD-28 is priceless.

royd

I fully understand and acknowledge that I will not get the exact same tone out of a cutaway as I will out of my current guitar--I am just trying to use it as a baseline reference for what I am looking for. And I am looking for a plug and play acoustic ideally with volume and some tone control so I can adjust if necessary. I appreciate the suggestions for minimally invasive electronic options and it's not that I have some unreasonable aversion to the concept--but it will not get me a cutaway.
I don't think the cutaway makes a significant difference i the sound, it is more in the way the bracing is done on the HD model. And the more flexible bracing that contributes to the sound you like would also make the guitar more prone to feedback. As a solo or in a small acoustic act with minimal or no monitors, that shouldn't be too much of a problem. In an electric band, it could be difficult to control.

So... depending on how loud you need to get, you can decide on the balnce between the acoustic and the electric sounds. The Taks amplify pretty well but I don't think they sound all that good acoustically. Taylors are Taylors and you either like them (and the ES system) or not. The Martin Performer series are likely to sound and feel the most like a Martin to you. I've heard good things about the higher level Yamaha's and their top pickup system but I've never seen or played one. Maybe a Cole Clark? Again, you won't have a strong Martin type sound and the acoustic sound isn't as strong, but the pup system is excellent. Anything else, you'll be buying a guitar and adding a pickup system, which may be good or bad for you.

jay42

Taylors are Taylors and you either like them (and the ES system) or not.
My favorite tech tells me that ripping ES systems out is a steady part of his business and at some level, he has to thank Taylor for the opportunity.

Trending Topics