help please - speaker cable question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jay24, May 12, 2008.

1. jay24

jay24 Supporting Member

I have a head and cab setup and I want to put the head near me and place my cab in another room and mic it. How long can the speaker cable be from the head connecting to the cab? Does length matter or is shorter the speaker cable, the better? Thanks!

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't think it can be a problem. Line levels can run much further without any real loss of tone/signal. If you want to know the limit, just go to any online store and see what the longest they sell is. I think I have one this is about 15 feet...

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

i don't think speaker cables fall under "line level".

the signal is pretty strong so i think this situation would be a good candidate for as low impedance cable as possible (due to the large distance). but this is about the end of my knowledge on this.

4. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I've had speaker cable stretch two flights of stairs when I kept a head in the studio and the cab in the basement, no loss of signal whatsoever. Buy as long as they can make em!

5. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

The danger in long speaker cable isn't loss of signal - it's oscillations blowing up your amp. The longer the cable, the more electrical impact it'll have, and thus the greater danger of introducing oscillation.

Use good quality cable and don't run it too far... maybe 10-15 feet.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If your going to use longer runs(over 15 ft.)use a quality heavy guage wire and you should be fine. 14 guage or even 12 guage to minimize losses. Bob

7. mike80

mike80 Member

Go bigger if you go longer. Voltage drop can be a pain in the arse, and the bigger conductors help minimize the drop in signal.

FWIW, I'm using a 30' 12 AWG cable from my head to cab at the moment.

8. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You're not going to hurt anything by using a longer speaker cable. The longer the cable is or the thinner it is the more resistance it has, but 16 gauge is good for 50 feet or so before you'll start to notice a change in sound. Any longer than that and you'll probably want a heavier cable.