• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help prevent me from buying another amp: OD pedal help!

backdrifter

Gold Supporting Member
I've owned a bunch of amps over the years, but I've always kept my first tube amp around - an early 90's Peavey Classic 50 4x10. I've heard and owned better sounding amps, but they were never better enough to justify the price difference in my opinion. I use the Peavey to also drive an old Fender Sound Column 310 cabinet, so in total I'm running seven 10" speakers.

The Peavey has a fantastic clean sound that I've always been happy with. But I need help picking the right pedal for a nice overdriven sound. I've tried a few Boss pedals and more recently a ZVEX Box of Rock, but they weren't what I was looking for.

I'm looking for something SRV'ish, a nice creamy overdrive sound. I have not tried an Ibanez Tube Screamer yet, which seems like the logical first step. I was thinking about getting a Keeley modified TS808, but I wanted some input from the experts.

In general, I tend to gravitate towards tweed amps and the overdriven sounds they produce. I mostly play two guitars - an American Standard Strat (typically through the neck or the neck and middle pickups) and a Grosh Tele (typically through the bridge pickup). I had a Clark Beaufort 5E3 amp for a while that had a wonderful overdriven sound. I would love to try to mimic that tone.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer not to start a long tone quest in the pedal department. I would much prefer to find "the one" fairly quickly, so any input would really help out!

backdrifter

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen. I had not heard of the Jester, it certainly looks interesting. The OCD seems to have quite a following.

What else can you suggest?

freaksho

the Fulltone Fulldrive comes from the TS school but is smoother and imo more better in a few other ways i can't quite put words to. more present maybe? anyway it should be on your short list for fattening up single coil pups.

also the Lovepedal Eternity for similar reasons, plus it's a smaller footprint with just one channel. is he still running that crazy $100 blowout sale? worth a look.

i've never tried the OCD but clips and it's reputation suggest to me that it's angrier and more aggressively voiced than the Fulldrive. but i don't know for sure.

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member
i have a classic 30, and the catalinbread DLS pretty much took the place of another amp channel. with the gain set low, you can easily cop awesome srv-ish tones with a good strat.

it also stacks beautifully with other pedals, so if you grab a TS variant, as well, you'll be allllllllll set.

Dica3

I second the jester, consistently amazing

also if you just want straight up "tweedish" kinda break up look at the Clark gainster, Greer ghetto stomp or BJFE Honeybee( the bee kinda veers into it's own thing though)

when push comes to shove, especially if you are basically looking to add a gain channel to your amp, the jester is pretty unbeatable since it is the preamplifier section of the Kingsley dc30 (more or less)

backdrifter

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for all of the replies. I'm giving the thread a bump and hoping for more suggestions.

Richard

I'm using a classic 100 half stack also and love it. First off have you tried an ep booster. It make the peavey classics clean channel sound 100 times better. I keep mine on all the time and turned all the way down. And for the OD, please before you pick one check out the EMMA Stinkbug. There are some nice utube vids. Here are the 2 vids that sold me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Uid44XW0E This one is done with a musicman axes with hummbuckers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Uid44XW0E This one is done with a strat with singles.

Last edited:

forum_crawler

The Peavey classic does have a nice clean channel. It is indeed a very nice amp, built like a tank.

As for overdrives, I would suggest you consider something like the Nova Drive, or at least try it at your local store. With all the routing, OD/DIST, and presets options, you may get what you are looking for out of that pedal and more.

If you are interested in TS-style of pedal, consider the Hardwire CM-2. It has two voicings, true bypass, and they can be had for little money. You may also think of trying the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde. Very nice pedal as well. It worked very well with my ValveKing (and with my Traynor for that matter). Also look at the Shiva drive from Suhr.

Finally, you may even consider something along the lines of a Zendrive. Those do sound very smooth and may perhaps be what you are looking for. The OCD is probably not what you are looking for, it is either muddy, or shrill, and it just doesn't have that much gain.

backdrifter

Gold Supporting Member
Guys, thanks so much for the input - lots of tribal knowledge here, I love it.

Richard, I have not tried an EP Booster. I assume you mean the Xotic EP Booster (it's what came up when I did a google search for EP Booster)? If so, it looks like my local boutique shop, Eddies Guitars in STL, has one in stock for $116. Seems pretty reasonable, at least in the boutique world. I've always been very happy with the cleans, but I'd love to try one out if you say it makes the cleans even better.

I appreciate all the suggestions, keep them coming!

abnerfm

In my opinion, contrary to what some said and although I like it, the Fulltone Full Drive (had the Mosfet one) is not smoother than a Tube Screamer (I had 2 TS808). It has a very strong midrange and is not for everyone.
BUT, if you really want to go TS-style, try the Maxon OD-820. It's the best Tube Screamer out there. It's true bypass, it's 18 Volts inside (better headroom) and the drive knob blends the driven and clean signal... great clarity. No mud here.
Also, I really don't think the OCD (I had v4) doesn't have enough gain... in fact, it almost gets fuzzy with the gain knob maxed. That's my opinion.

FindThePocket

I don't have personal experience, but isn't the Lovepedal Les Lius exactly the thing you are describing? It's supposed to sound like a cranked tweed amp. Demos sound good if that's what you're going for b

backdrifter

Gold Supporting Member
So let's bring this back to the top with one additional stipulation:

Suggest pedals that I can get for around $100 (used is OK).

ES330

I too have gone thru a ton of amps & pedals.
For single coils, I highly recommend you give
the Blackstone an audition.

Top Bottom