1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Help question; Have any of you sang since you were a child?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Timinator, May 19, 2011.

1. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

I'm asking because my son has been playing guitar and singing since he was 7. He's almost 14 now and his voice is changing and getting lower. When he sings, his voice is starting to "crack" and the tone is a bit "raspy".

I guess my question is; should I let him keep singing through it or should he stop singing for now or just try and sing lower? Any idea on how long the "change" lasts? I never sang when I was young.

2. macula56

macula56 Member

just keep singing and let nature take it's course. it won 't hurt anything. i started singing when i was about 3 and i am 54 now and still at it.

3. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I was a boy soprano soloist as a child. Now, I can hold a tune, but my speaking voice is far more pleasing to the ear than my singing voice. There aren't many rock and roll baritones.

4. KCWM

KCWM Supporting Member

I was in choir from 4th grade to 9th grade. Have him keep singing...when I stopped, even though I continued to sing because of writing music, I lost a lot of the technique I developed. Now, I'd have to pay or invest significant time to retrain my body.

5. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

My advice is: watch the Brady Bunch episode where Peter's voice starts to change in the middle of recording a single. Oh, lookee here, it's on YouTube!

Wow, I actually recommended The Brady Bunch!

Yes, I've been singing my whole life. One's voice will change many times in the course of his life. Embrace it.

6. nocoJack

nocoJack Member

I took about 10 years off and then had to relearn how my voice worked. That took about a year and a half. Presumably, that process would have been easier and I'd be a much better singer if I had stuck with it instead of bailing when my voice was changing.

7. hclapp219

hclapp219 Member

Yup, I just kept singing right on through. Everyone is different; my voice was pretty easy, but some of my friends had a really tough time with it. If he's really self conscious about it and doesn;t want to sing in choir any more, have him work one on one with a voice teacher; the choir director can probably suggest one.

8. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

He dropped choir about mid year. He was only one of two boys and the teacher didn't change the key of the songs for the boys or have any "boy" parts. So he was singing really high to begin with then when the "change" started he couldn't hit any of those notes anymore anyhow. I still have him playing and singing every day but I didn't want to harm his voice while it was changing, that's why I asked. I'll just keep the cattle prod charged and keep him singing.