1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

help re-work my cab to do 4 AND 16 ohm

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Devin, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

ok, im in a bind. Have a head that wants a 16ohm speaker load and one that needs 4ohm (marshall/fender). I have only one speaker cab and it is running at 4ohms for my bandmaster. I think i can do both in the same cabinent but i seek clarification and guidance from those that have come before me. I found a good diagram but i lack the understanding of "mono" and "Stereo" when applied to guitar amps. This diagram seems to have more features than i need.

can't i just wire the cab with two input jacks to have access to both impedence choices? Do i need a switch or something?

http://bustedgear.com/faq_Speaker_wiring.htm

thanks for the help

2. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Am I correct in assuming this would be two eight ohm speakers being swithced from series to parallel wiring?

You could also do this with FOUR 4 ohm speakers. Run them all in series for 16 ohms or run two parallel sets in series for 4 ohms total.

3. Devin

Yes i have two 8 ohm speakers, thanks for the response!

4. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

[​IMG]

this is the wiring I would use but without the mono/stereo switch.

Hard wired to the mono setting all the time, one jack would be 4 ohms and the other 16.

Just use standard mono 1/4" jacks instead of stereo jacks

5. Devin

ok, i will study it!

sooo ...the switch is only for the mono/stereo feature i dont need. Would this wiring be any different than say normal wiring for two 8ohm in series or parrallel alone?

i guess i will find out when i get a chance to do it.

thank you guitarcapo

6. doveman

doveman Member

7. Devin

^ wow, ok. Thats good too.

8. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

9. wall_of_sleep

wall_of_sleep Member