HELP! recommend me a good envelope filter!

markflo

hello friends. i'm in the market for the best or most versatile envelope filter and i need some suggestions. i do have some requirements though.

1) true bypass (i know i know, i'm not a tbp snob, i have lots of pedals on my board that are not, but i need THIS one to be. lol)

2) great tracking (?) uhhhm....sensitivity? (not sure what the word is)

3) no or slight change in volume and tone

4) F-F-F-F-F-UNKY! (sorry, i just had to throw this one in)

5) not so huge

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

right now i'm looking at
micro qtron and emma discumbobulator, any reviews on these pedals would be appreciated also.

thanks in advance!

dB

I have a Mutron, but have looked around quite a bit for something smaller and less vintage (more readily replacable). The Emma is the one that I keep coming back to. I think it is the most Mutron-like, if that's the type of filter you are after.

markflo

I have a Mutron, but have looked around quite a bit for something smaller and less vintage (more readily replacable). The Emma is the one that I keep coming back to. I think it is the most Mutron-like, if that's the type of filter you are after.
thank you for your quick reply! yea it looks like emma is the prime candidate...

any other suggestions?

Jack

+1 on Emma. I think it tracks better than the Tone Factor 442. I don't know that any of them sound great into a dirty amp.

markflo

Is it worth it to spend $200 on an envelope filter? Or should i just stick with the $82 on the micro qtron? Qtron is true true bypass, yes?

iualum

...the AF-9 is an absolutely tremendous box, great tone, super tweakable...I truly don't think it has any rivals (although the M-188 is a very respectable pedal that I like also) unless you want to talk about the Ultron for at least 2 1/2 times the price...

...I have 3 minty ones (lol), a back-up for my back-up...

dB

The Maxon is nice, but it is a little more synthy sounding than the Emma, Mutron, or EH. The EH Qtron+ is nice as well, but I have never had any luck with EH pedals being durable. Maybe it's just me. I do know some folks who use the EH for Garcia sounding envelope tones and it sounds excellent...a little wetter than a Mutron.

I'd definitely try out the Emma...if you don't like it, sell it to me.

dB

Is it worth it to spend $200 on an envelope filter? Or should i just stick with the $82 on the micro qtron? Qtron is true true bypass, yes?
If you hang around here long enough you'll be spending much more than that on stuff you never thought you needed.

T-Bro

I've owned a Bassballs, DOD FX25, Micro Qtron and have played the MXR Auto Q. I liked the MXR the least. The DODFX25 gets a cool funky sound that at it's extreme sounds very modern digital and cool. The Bassballs has a very good throaty sound but I found it not as suitable for chording. The Micro Qtron is the best so far at doing the vintage mutron tones, ie: Jerry Garcia's sound. The Qtron is the only one that has stayed on my board.

godotzilla

It's not small, but if you want versatile, the EH Tube Zipper is one flexible beast. It'll do the classic Mu-Tron sounds, but that's just the starting point. You can dial in tube gain for some pretty heavy distorted tones, and switching in the trill mode introduces random whackiness that gets plain nutty.

pgissi

I have the 90's version, green box DOD FX25 and was a sleeper buy, great envelope pedal.

I highly recommend it although its not true bypass.

here is someones take on it-
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The pedal is not as refined as the filter section in the RoboTalk, but it definitely has a nice growl to it. When it sweeps back (as the input signal drops in strength), it is very grainy with a very gargly character. But the hard thing is setting it up right - it is very hard to find the sweet spot where the pedal is clear enough to not sound muffled, but still will not spend all its time in the highest frequency band. At the moment, it's being run from a true bypass loop. Not because the pedal has a particularly bad bypass sound, but simply because it's not being used very much. This is an effect you can use once or twice each night, in the right band, but not much more. Although I have to restrain myself - the sound when I kick it in is soo cool that I'm tempted to use it far too often... [/FONT]
[/FONT]​
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=dod+envelope+filter&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

Trending Topics