help: red case foam + flood = nitro discoloration

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by plord, Sep 2, 2008.

1. plord

plord Member

Just got back from vacation to a busted water heater and flooding. Among the damage: my Scott Walker Special, sitting in its furry-red-foam-lined case, standing on end, got soaked in I guess about 2" of water. Not enough to get water into the electronics or battery compartment, but deep enough and long enough for red dye to leach out of the case lining and into the nitro finish around the strap peg, about 1.5" on either side.

******* guitar looks like a baboon now :(

Anyone have experience with similar finish disasters? Will I have to have the whole guitar refinished? Is it likely that the dye got into the wood below the finish also? Any suggestions? I'm calling Scott this afternoon but I'm very interested in any advice or similar stories.

Thanks.

2. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

The dye PROBABLY didn't get into the wood. Nitro is still lacquer, and water proof, IF its applied properly, and still intact (ie, no checking, wear, pinholes, etc). Problem is, it'll have bonded pretty well with the nitro. If there's someone in your area who is a real expert at restoring antiques ,especially wood pieces, I'd talk to them. Many red dyes are quite easy to bleach out or remove, (look at old art prints, where the reds have faded out completely) however be sure you find someone who knows what they're doing, not gonna do a "guess-and-try". Failing that, its a complete refinish job, to really do it right.

3. plord

plord Member

Thanks for the reply. The only way the dye could have gotten through would have been the strap peg, but that part of the guitar wasn't in contact with the foam and has no discoloration. Scott believes-- although reserving judgment until he sees it-- that it should be completely fixable one way or the other, so I'll be driving it down there this weekend. I'll post a report when I get her home again.