Help removing spring from tremolo block

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by aleclee, Sep 16, 2008.

1. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I'm trying to remove a trem spring and it's pretty well stuck in the block. I can rotate it a bit but it won't pull out. I've tried pliers, string, screwdrivers, all with the same non-result. Right now it's sitting with a drop of machine oil where the spring enters the block. I've worked it in as best I could and am letting time and gravity do their thing with the oil.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can get the spring out of the block?

Thanks!

2. GDking

GDking Member

I am going to assume you loosened the spring tensioner screw (just take the spring off the screw) and that the spring is slack and only attached on the block end and will not come out. If you have not done this, try it. Make sure to measure how far in the tensioner screw stuck out before you loosen it and match it as close as possible when you put it back together it feels the same.

That being said, and if the above is done, your approach of a wd-40 type material, soaking, and time is about the best you are going to do shy of strings off the guitar and removing the whole block assembly out of the top of the guitar with that one spring still attached.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Thanks!

The springs were slack (I had blocked it to maintain string tension during the whole operation) but there was a big burr on the tip of the spring that was digging into the block. Working it for a good long time with the machine oil got enough play where I could get a bigger screwdriver wedged in to pry it out.

Since I was removing the spring for a Tremol-no installation, the spring was going to be placed in an adjacent spot. I filed down the burr before putting the spring back in and it slid in without a problem. Five minutes later, the T-no was installed and adjusted so I could get back to playing on the guitar instead of working on it...though after getting it back together I noticed it needs a truss rod tweak. :p

4. GDking

GDking Member

I am glad to hear it!

Truss rod adjustment is a lot easier than what you just did! :)

I would recommend getting one of Dan Erlwine's books on how to repair guitar. Once I learned how to do a full setup I have been hard pressed to find someone who can set up a guitar how I like it now that I can get it exactly how I want it. Plus no wait time.

Good luck