Help required in pedal selection - ambient sounds wanted!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by daphil_1, Dec 26, 2005.

1. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Hello all,

Im looking to get a pedal that will get me to some spacey ambient places. I've been through analog and digital delays and, although they are great and have there places, Im looking for something different. Aside from reverb, do you guys have any suggestions for something a little different? Don't know exactly what sound I want - but Im interested in different sounds. I've been checking out some moog stuff which seemed interesting - as well as some ring mods. Anyways, please shoot some suggestions, no matter how wacky, this way!!!

Thanks!

2. blueprint

blueprint Member

Check out the clips section on the Electro Harmonix page.
    Not to suggest you to buy something from this brand especially, but they have plenty of weird stuff and you may get some ideas...
    Just a suggestion :)

3. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

shall do mate - thanks!

4. blueprint

blueprint Member

By the way, http://www.musiciansfriend.com have many clips too.
    Check the moogerfooger section ( one of the clips of the ring mod kills!), and the Electro Harmonix stuff too: They even have video demontrations!
    :)

5. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

Putting a delay in a feedback loop can get you some pretty cool sounds. Putting lots of stuff in a feedback loop can yield some interesting results for that matter. You can custom order (paint color, layout, LED color) such a pedal at www.loooper.com for a reasonable price. Just order a loooper with the feedback pot option (the extra switch to turn it on and off is recommended), David is a nice guy as well. You can also buy a pre-built pedal exactly as I have just described at www.tonefactor.com. Go under the "Unkle's Custom Shop" heading and check out the tonefactor Mobius II. Brad is also great to deal with and just opened a new shop! If you like to make your delay self-oscillate by turning up the feedback knob then these feedback loopers are for you. I believe the end of Kharma Police was done using a delay through such a loop (or at least a self oscillating delay [decay knob turned all the way up]) while turning down the "delay time" knob manually to achieve the fall in pitch (could have been a whammy as well I suppose). My dd-3 works well in tandem with this type of effect for creating ambient wash textures using different pedals in front of the loop for gain. You can make some fuzz pedals self oscillate when in such a loop as well. I highly recommend getting one with a stomp switch dedicated to the feedback pot of the pedal (both options above provide this [you have to specify this option on David's site]). These pedals can blow up your speakers if you don't have your hand on the knob or a stomp switch for "on/off". Try searching here and at HC for more on this effector. indyguitarist.com had some samples of this effect up on their site. I think effector 13 may have some as well (look under samples for "truly beautiful disaster"[check out the whole site for that matter]). Hope this was helpfull.:YinYang

6. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Thanks for that info re the looper - just checking that out it looks well cool!

7. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

A couple of other variations -

Keeley modded DD3 - adds three tone options (warming up the notoriously bright Boss delay tones) and an fx loop for regeneration of whatever you put in the loop. here's a link to some clips http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=190415

Digitech XP series - Space Station, Reverberator, Modulator, not the Whammy that much, but there's a guy sellling an all-in-one model that will do the presets from all the models. Here's a link to a thread about it. http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58360

Tim Kaiser - performance artist, circuit bender, effect maker. Check out the Atomic Sonic section. http://www.timkaiser.org/index.html

Slow down your modulation effects.

MuRF and all things Moog.

Alesis ModFx units - especially the Philtre and Ampliton.

Digitech PDS series - especially the 20/20.

Resonant filters - Frostwave Resonator, Sherman Filterbank 2, Vermona Dual Analog Filter.

Maneco loopers.

Have fun. :cool:

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

9. marklyn

marklyn Member

The Lexicon Vortex could do some very ambient sounds and textures and had the option of an expression pedal for control. I don't think they're made anymore but you could probably find one somewhere.

10. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

Sounds like your ready for the Roland Guitar Synth!:RoCkIn

11. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

I've been alerted to this pedal, the HBE PSILOCYBE/PHASE SHIFTER. From the limited audio samples, seems to have the right blend of phase, vibe and warble. I think Im leaning this way just ahead of the keeley modded/modulated dd3.