Help researching old reverb unit

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by FritzCat, Feb 17, 2008.

1. FritzCat

FritzCat Member

I purchased this Centco reverb unit off eBay [​IMG] The only info the seller was able to give me was that it was one of three or four produced as a prototype. It appears to me to be a copy of a mid-60's Fender unit. Compare the Centco control panel with a 64/65 Fender control panel. I'm wondering if anyone has any info on the Centco Electric Instruments Amplifier Co., as it would seem to me from the name that they must have produced other products than this reverb unit. Other than the name, there is no indication of its origin. The two remaining pots say Lesa, made in Italy; there appears to be a Tantalum capacitor and a pin-up capacitor between these two pots; there are two large capacitors that read Fox Electronics, 20X2, 450, with a date code of 3 02 65, so this thing is for sure around 40 years old. If anyone could offer any information on this company or how to find out about it I would be greatly appreciative.

2. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

Some components look newer than '65 for sure (pots, and that radial cap). The hacked big washers around the jacks/pots are odd, and might suggest newer parts being used on an older chassis. Not to mention the all plastic wiring. The old components you point out (caps) aren't at all conclusive as somebody could have scavenged those... And of course all the hardware parts (chassis, etc.) to build a Fender knock-off have been generally available for ages. All someone would have to do is get the panel screened and the logo made. I guess the question is, is it on the older side with a few replacement newer parts added? Or is it newer with a few NOS or used pulls added? My guess is it's more recent, but either way it's a cool item...

3. FritzCat

FritzCat Member

Some components have definitely been replaced, but the whole thing shows age and wear consistent with many years of use. I mainly wanted to find out what other things the company may have produced and what happened to that company in the meantime. Like you said, it's a cool item, and I'm not likely to see another one. I'm lucky in that it works great and it was only $300, about half the cost of a vintage Fender unit in similar condition.

4. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

wires passing through un-bushed holes....

high voltage exposed for someone to touch.... EDIT: Or is that just because the doghouse has been removed for the photo?

I'm not personally loving this device. Be careful

5. FritzCat

FritzCat Member

Yes, I had the cover off for that photo. I'll put some grommets in today. Thanks for the concern.

6. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

Yeah stuff like that and the washers are what make me wonder if this wasn't a company as much as a guy (who maybe thought he would be a company)...