• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help restringing a Bigsby?

acousticplays

Still learning the ropes with this guitar, haha.

So to restring my pro jet, do the strings go under the first bar, over the second then hook onto the ends?

When I bought the guitar, the strings just went over the first and second bars of the Bigsby, but when I took a look at other photos, I'm kind of thinking maybe he just got lazy or something?

Here's how I see others restringing theirs:

And here's how mine is currently strung (sorry for the lighting, it's the only picture I have right now):

As you can see, the strings on mine go over the first and second bar...
Thanks for any help!

yes it needs to go under the first bar in order to create tension over the saddle. not doing so could cause buzzing issues, or even your strings to pop off the saddle when you play hard.

Bob Pollock

c'était des extraterrestres
Gold Supporting Member
The top pic is correct. Pre-bend the ball end 90 degrees to facilitate hooking the ball end on the pin.

acousticplays

bandofthieves™;12461546 said:
This video is really helpful, thanks!

So how come on some guitar I've seen with a Bigsby, the strings just go over? Does it depend on the type of Bigbsy that is equipped to the guitar?

HayekFan

Yeah, there's another type of Bigsby designed for archtop guitars that doesn't have the bar in front. The strings come off the roller bar (or whatever it's called) and go straight over the bridge without passing under a second bar. Maybe you're thinking of that type. The reason they don't have the second bar is that the arch of the top, angle of the neck, and height of the bridge allow for enough break angle over the saddles without it.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, there's another type of Bigsby designed for archtop guitars that doesn't have the bar in front. The strings come off the roller bar (or whatever it's called) and go straight over the bridge without passing under a second bar. Maybe you're thinking of that type. The reason they don't have the second bar is that the arch of the top, angle of the neck, and height of the bridge allow for enough break angle over the saddles without it.
Interesting, thanks for the info, nice to know why my Gretsch Brian Setzer hot rod does not have that bar. I still find stringing it a bit of a pain.

Dashface

Interesting, thanks for the info, nice to know why my Gretsch Brian Setzer hot rod does not have that bar. I still find stringing it a bit of a pain.
Oh, it is :D The first time I tried to re-string a Bigsby I swear it took me forty minutes and I swore the entire time. The trick is, like mentioned above, to bend the string ends first. Also - you may have noticed you need three hands. One excellent tip is to use a capo to hold the loose ends of the strings. Finally, lots of people like to use an eraser or some other small object to hold the ball-ends on the posts during the operation.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Oh, it is :D The first time I tried to re-string a Bigsby I swear it took me forty minutes and I swore the entire time. The trick is, like mentioned above, to bend the string ends first. Also - you may have noticed you need three hands. One excellent tip is to use a capo to hold the loose ends of the strings. Finally, lots of people like to use an eraser or some other small object to hold the ball-ends on the posts during the operation.
Those are great tips, I will give them a try. Thanks for the help. It is time for my Gretsch to get new strings and I have been somewhat dreading it....

half of a wooden clothes pin with some felt glued onto it works as a third hand for me.

oh, and pre bend the end of the string with some needlenose pliars.

There are some interesting solutions in this thread. I like to see that.

yellowecho

1) Pre-bend the string ends
2) Use a capo while stringing to keep tension on the strings so they don't fall off the pin.
3) Wiggle wiggle wiggle

Trending Topics

Top Bottom