HELP! Rocker 30 acting funny

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jlearman, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jlearman

jlearman Member

I just got an Orange Rocker 30 off of a TGPer in emporium, and after pulling it out of the box, I plugged it in to give it a try. The "Natural" channel works fine, but unfortunately, the gain channel is doing some weird stuff. First of all it makes no sound at all until I get the Gain & Master volume knobs past 12:00. Secondly, when I do turn it up to this point a very high pitched sound (like feedback) starts at a very low volume and grows steadily until I turn the amp off (or volume down).

I'm hoping that just have a bad tube, but can anyone help out?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. kannibul

kannibul Member

I'd say bad tube. I don't have schematics for the R30 - so I can't tell you if the clean channel has it's own tube (like the RV50 and RV100)

Change it out and see! Or, just switch the preamp tubes around and see if you get a change....

3. brent

brent Member

sounds like a bad preamp tube to me as well

I had a bad preamp tube causing my Rockerverb 50 clean channel to be really anemic

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

this kind of thing bugged the hell out of me with my AD30HTC. If it's not a tube, it's usually an overheating problem around the channel switching area.

5. Luke V

Luke V Member

I also think it's a tube. When I first got my Rocker the gain channel was noisy and sqealing. I bought it new, so they replaced the amp with new one that came with EHX tubes. I really like the Rocker with EHX pre tubes and JJ el34s. Those amps come with a 2 year warranty, Orange is great to deal with, from my experience. Great amp, very dynamic.
    Good Luck,
    Luke

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes tubes.

EP

7. e-z

e-z Member

I think most rockers start acting funny once they turn 30. :D

8. jlearman

jlearman Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I get some preamp tubes and play around tonight.

9. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

The gain knob is working about the way it should, at least acording to my RV50 operation. I have to get it at least to 9-10 oclock for me not to have to crank the channel volume.

Get a new preamp tube or 2 and you should be set

10. kannibul

kannibul Member

Rocker 30's and AD30HTC have totally different designs and layouts - so your point is somewhat unrelated - no offense :)

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

oh, ok. Thought maybe the channel switching area of it might be similar to the AD's. Nevermind.

12. jlearman

jlearman Member

So an update on this....I replaced all of the preamp tubes, 1 by 1, with EH 12ax7's, and nothing changed. Also...a bit of a correction to what the problem is...the master volume knob actually does not work at all. The volume is completely controlled by the gain knob, but as I said before, you can't hear a think until the gain is past 12:00.

I opened up the chassis, and it doesn't seem like there's anything obviously wrong. Nothing floating around in there or anything like that. Could the pot on the volume have gone bad during the shipping? Should I spend the money & try new power tubes? What about rebiasing after replacing the tubes? Does anone know if this amp is self biasing....I've head the ad30's are.

Thanks again for the help!

-Joe

13. kannibul

kannibul Member

The rocker 30 I think is cathode biased - but the AD30 is fixed bias...

So, you're right and wrong ion that regard :)

Well, I'd say there is something wrong with the amp - I'd contact the seller and find out WTF it is.