Help! Screw hole spacing for mounting speakers

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Meeotch, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Meeotch

Meeotch Supporting Member

I recently purchased a cab direct from a manufacturer, and I am struggling to mount speakers into it properly. The issue is that the screw holes that were drilled into the baffle for mounting are too far apart.

Measuring from center of screw hole to center of screw hole directly across the cutout, I am getting 11 13/16". I have measured 7 different speaker frames and they all measure 11 10/16" to 11 11/16" hole to hole. This is 1/8"+ discrepancy, and I will surely strip the screws and/or tnuts if I try to force the screw in at an angle.

I have measured 3 different cabs and they all are at 11 10/16" hole to hole, no angling of the screw necessary. I feel like the template this manufacturer used is off, but they are insisting that there is no problem with the 11 13/16" spec. I'm just trying to figure out what the standard is here, please help!

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Contact the manufacturer.... their spacing is wrong...

3. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Just as an FYI, I bought a pair of EV SRO Coffee Cans, but I could not mount them to any of my existing baffles, and had to have new baffles made especially for them.

Rossi163 likes this.
  4. bob-i

bob-i Member

That’s strange, I had a pair of them in the 70s and used them in several different amps including a twin reverb. They fit in everything.

5. Meeotch

Meeotch Supporting Member

Thanks for the input, as I mentioned the manufacturer insists that their spacing is correct. I would appreciate any info on standard specs for the mounting holes.

To me it seems like 11 10/16" is the sweet spot as it is within 1/16" of all the frames I have measured.

6. tarweed

tarweed Member

can you use a rat-tail file to go in 1/16 (diagonally) on each hole - without causing damage?
    Would that void warranty?

7. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

Mounting slot distance on Celestions is 11.7" ( example https://celestion.com/product/26/heritage_series_g1265/)

Celestions are probably about as "standard" as you're gonna find

10/16=0.625
    11/16=0.6875
    12/16=0.7500
    13/16=0.8125

0.8125 - 0.7=0.1125

That's over 1/10th inch - Quite a difference. 11 11/16 is closest to the Celestion figure

You might ask them whose speakers are standardized on 11 13/16

Then decide if it's worth fighting over. You'll pay return shipping at a minimum I'd guess.

You could enlarge the holes on your speaker or the cab, or perhaps use thinner screws (but something high-grade so they don't snap)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 12:36 AM
  8. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

Is the manufacture saying that the 11 13/16" is correct or that their template is normally correct? Could be that someone on their end screwed up the spacing somehow. Maybe try and send them some pics with a ruler showing what the actual measurements are.

9. Pete Cage

Pete Cage Member

11-5/8" is the measurement that I find best matches up with the range of most current speaker manufacturers' interpretation of a proper bolt circle on a 12" speaker. It seems that every builder has their own design-center spec... :mad:

10. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Spin the speaker and drill new holes between the holes you have now.

11. wall_of_sleep

wall_of_sleep Member

Nah mate, there's a 16th of an inch here somewhere and we're going to rip every board out of this house to find it.