Help setting levels with Suhr RL, Torpedo WOS and Its

newb3fan

I'm having a hard time recently getting a good overdriven sound trying to record direct into Logic with the following set up: Guitar --> Fuchs ODS30 --> Suhr RL --> Audio track with Duet into Logic. I get a decent clean tone. But with the OD channel things get fizzy fast. Sounding nothing like how good the amp sounds through a 1x12 in the live room. There are many input level controls and I don't know if I'm pushing one too hard or what. For example I have control of the DI input of the reactive load, the input level of the WOSIII, and the input of the channel track. I'm obviously doing something wrong and I don't know what. Any help from anyone on this?

Husky

I'm having a hard time recently getting a good overdriven sound trying to record direct into Logic with the following set up: Guitar --> Fuchs ODS30 --> Suhr RL --> Audio track with Duet into Logic. I get a decent clean tone. But with the OD channel things get fizzy fast. Sounding nothing like how good the amp sounds through a 1x12 in the live room. There are many input level controls and I don't know if I'm pushing one too hard or what. For example I have control of the DI input of the reactive load, the input level of the WOSIII, and the input of the channel track. I'm obviously doing something wrong and I don't know what. Any help from anyone on this?
First off which input are you using for the Duet and do you make sure the track is 100% going through the IR? Also have you recorded the amp with a close mic before?

newb3fan

John - hi and thanks for the reply to help me get straightened out. I'm using input 1 of the duet and select an audio track. I think the track is going 100% through the IR but I'm not sure. How do I verify? If you send me your email I can send you a screen shot of what the track looks like in the mixer view of Logic. Can't figure out how to embed the image to the post..... I'm at [email protected]

Husky

John - hi and thanks for the reply to help me get straightened out. I'm using input 1 of the duet and select an audio track. I think the track is going 100% through the IR but I'm not sure. How do I verify? If you send me your email I can send you a screen shot of what the track looks like in the mixer view of Logic. Can't figure out how to embed the image to the post..... I'm at [email protected]
Are you using the instrument input on the duet and checking those setting ?

newb3fan

You mean the volume fader on the channel to < -10? Yes I have recorded with a mic before in this room but not with this particular amp.

Husky

You mean the volume fader on the channel to < -10? Yes I have recorded with a mic before in this room but not with this particular amp.
I'm just wondering since to get a read you should record it up close to know what to compare to. And many people record digital too hot and get distortion. (I used to coming from the analog world) maybe you just haven't found the right IR but really it is all about the IR. You also need to make sure you are not listening to the input but only the IR channel.

Last edited:

sinasl1

Hi – 99% of the time when I hear this problem, it's because the user is probably listening to a) the input of the recording interface as well as the output of their daw
B) only the input of the recording interface.

When using iRs you ONLY want to hear the output from f the track in your DAW, which has the "speaker simulator" processing on it. The reason is obvious- you don't want to hear the straight direct sound of your amplifier with no speaker sim. So, you need to go into the software mixer for your Apogee duet, and mute the channel that the output of the reactive load is plugged into.

One way to check if you were hearing this input channel – simply mute the channel in logic that you are recording to. If you're still here buzzy annoying guitar tone, you'll know it's because you were listening to the input (BAD). Mute the input in the software mixer, unmute the output of the channel with WOS in logic, and voilà it should sound lovely.

newb3fan

Pete - a BIG thank you! That took care of the issue. I didn't even know what you described above was happening. I'm betting a lot of other home studio amateurs like myself don't either.

If I could indulge you in one more related question...where do you tend to balance and set your input levels between the control on the RL, the the input on the plug-in (I'm using Torpedo WOSIII) and the channel track itself so that you get good input level with no clipping? Is this trial and error with every set up? Or are there rules-of-thumb that you follow?

Happy new year to you both and all the best to you for a joyous and successful 2017!

Jason Calieri

Silver Supporting Member
Pete - a BIG thank you! That took care of the issue. I didn't even know what you described above was happening. I'm betting a lot of other home studio amateurs like myself don't either.

If I could indulge you in one more related question...where do you tend to balance and set your input levels between the control on the RL, the the input on the plug-in (I'm using Torpedo WOSIII) and the channel track itself so that you get good input level with no clipping? Is this trial and error with every set up? Or are there rules-of-thumb that you follow?

Happy new year to you both and all the best to you for a joyous and successful 2017!

I just got a Reactive Load yesterday, and was wondering the same thing about setting levels. Particularly the balance between the output of the RL and the input of my Focusrite Scarlett.

makerdp

I've been running my RL at a level where I don't really have to add any gain on my interface preamp at all, just adjusting it enough to where I get the typical -12 to -9 dB recording levels. With my setup, usually around 12 to 1 o'clock on the RL dial.

I also ALWAYS record a direct dry channel so that I can go back and reamp the track if needed, Not often that I need to but it really sucks when you record that "magic take" and then get to mixing and realize the tone just doesn't work for the song and you have to re-record the track again.

newb3fan

I run my RL at about 11 on the dial and downwardly adjust the input on the interface as well as one built into the IR plugin I use, which is Two Notes WOSIII, to get a similar -10dB as makerdp has stated above me. It takes some playing around with the levels admittedly and the need adjustment for me too when I go from clean channel to OD channel on my amp.

Jason Calieri

Silver Supporting Member
Cool, thanks guys. I'm really liking how it sounds so far, I just wanted to make sure I was setting levels correctly.

newb3fan

No problem. A couple of other things to note. On your interface make sure you mute the input. Because you don't want to hear that through your studio monitors. You just want the signal after the plugin with the IRs loaded. And make sure the instrument choice is selected for whatever input you are using. That all should get you there!! Then picking cabs and speakers and mics and mic placement options becomes a trial and error process for your own preferences.

Is anyone here running their Suhr RL unbalanced out? I have been using it with the apollo twin plugged into the hi z input. Wondering if others have compared that as well.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Well there it is :) Can I ask why the unbalanced output sounds a little better than the balanced in the setup this way?

Impedance between the interface input and the RL output I suspect... I haven't measured the exact impedance between the balanced and unbalanced outputs on mine, but I am sure there's a difference!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom