Help setting up Musicomlab MK IV

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by G22, Feb 20, 2015.

1. G22

G22 Member

Hi Musicomlab users,

I've received my musicomlab EFX MKiv and I need help setting it up with thoses stereo pedals in this order :

- Strymon Mobius
    - Young Pedal The Looker (tremolo)
    - Strymon Timeline
    - Strymon Big Sky

The problem is that I need to run all thoses effects in stereo, so the best would be that I control the Strymon pedals with midi out of the signal chain.

Where it's get complicated is that my The Looker stereo pedal needs a signal in both left and right side in order to make stereo. It can't receive left in and get out with right and left out. I absolutely need both input so that's why I have putted The Looker after the Mobius.

I wonder if I can put the Mobius in loop 9 in stereo and Tremolo in loop 10 then out of the MKiv I could put after the Timeline (CC07) and the Bigsky (CC08).

So I can activate the Timeline and Bigsky with loop 7 and 8 but they would be after the modulations.

PLEASE HELP ME!! I'm starting to get crazy :(

2. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Doesn't make any sense to me. Run your Mobius in loop 9, Trem in loop 10, and then from the output to the Timeline and BigSky. For the CCs for the Timeline/BigSky I've probably use CC15 and CC16 on IA page 3.

3. String6

String6 Member

Hey there :)

You don't have to use CC7/8 for the Timeline/Bigsky, you can use other CC messages without a relation to operating a loop.
    So, Mobius in 9 and Looker in 10 with Timeline and Bigsky after the MKIV should work perfectly

Looks like thiscalltoarms beat me to it :)

4. G22

G22 Member

I don't understand where CC15 and CC16 are linked to. Well I was thinking of loop 7 and 8 because they have a light to tell me they are active on the MKIV.

Having them setup on CC15 and CC16 I wont know when they are on and off on the MKIV I will need to check directly on the pedals itself. It's not a big problem but I liked the way the lights are telling me what is on and off.

If it's impossible to have them on loop 7 and 8 can I assign the Timeline to FS1 and the Bigsky to FS2 like that I'll be able to have a light to tell me it's on or off.

OR... I'm totally away and I've not understand anything.

By the way thank you helping me out on this :eek:

5. String6

String6 Member

You can set it up like you said I guess, if you want the LED indication.

CC15 and above are not connected to anything, so you can send them on preset basis without activating a loop or functions switch . CC1-14 are connected to loops 1-10 and F1-4 (like MKIII)

6. G22

G22 Member

That's perfect I will try that this week-end, soon I receive my Mission Engineiring
    expression pedal I'll come back in this thread and ask if I need any help!

Thanks Nati :)

7. G22

G22 Member

Ok just received my midi cables and can't get it to work. I've made a clear video to show you exactly everything I've done because at this point I have no idea what to do next.

Thank you a lot for helping me!

8. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

Hey G22.

MIDICT and MIDIPA are for setting whether or not CC and PC messages are used - these need to be set to ON, otherwise the pedal will not respond to the CC and PC messages that the EFX sends.

This is noted in the manual BTW!

Based on your video, I'm sure if you set both MIDICT and MIDIPA to ON you will be in business.

9. thiscalltoarms

Your Midi CT and midi PA have to be on. Midi CT activates the ability of the Strymon to received the 102 bypass messages. The midi PA activates the ability of the ability of the Strymon's to receive Program changes.

In the case of the Musicom- CT turns on and off the bypass ability, PA turns on the ability to change from patch 00a to 00b on the Timeline for instance.

10. G22

G22 Member

Perfect I'll try that in an hour and let you know. I've read that for disaster area system it needed to be off so I've turned it off. I've tried activate it on the BigSky and didn't solve the issue, I guess it's normal because Mobius and Timeline are before in the midi chain.

I'll try that thanks!

11. thiscalltoarms

Eventually you'll have to program midi PCs for every preset that you want to make. Those PCs are programmed by using the MIDI menu from the Utility menu on the MkIV.

12. G22

G22 Member

It's in MENU -> MIDI -> PRESET SETTING ->

THEN I CHOOSE 1 TO 5 THEN

0-127 = BANK 0-99 on the Timeline ie?

It's also there I can assign or not the expression pedal?

Thanks.

13. G22

G22 Member

Just checked it out and still doesn't work :

LOOP 9 : MOBIUS
    LOOP 10 : TREMOLO
    OUTSIDE MKIV : TIMELINE -> BIGSKY -> AMP

MOBIUS TIMELINE BIGSKY setting MIDICT and MIDIPA set to ON.
    MOBIUS and TIMELINE setting MIDI THRU set ON
    BIGSKY setting MIDI THRU set OFF.

On the MKIV everything is set up properly :

PC1 Channel 01
    PC2 Channel 02
    PC3 Channel 03
    PC4 Channel 04
    PC5 Channel 05
    PC6 Channel 06

CC09 Channel 01 - Number OFF
    CC10 Channel 01 - Number OFF
    CC11 Channel 02 - Number 102
    CC12 Channel 03 - Number 102

OUT/THRU set to OUT
    RECV Channel set to OFF

From the information you’ve all gave me, the Strymons seems configured correctly and the MKIV also, what could be the problem now! Thanks it’s starting to drive me crazy!

14. G22

G22 Member

15. thiscalltoarms

Have you set up a midi program change yet, or just testing the bypass / engage functions? Your CC11 should engaging and bypassing your Timeline when you click it on and off. In the CC11 midi settings it needs to be set to channel 2, cc # 102, message with at 0 for off value, 127 for on value.

16. G22

G22 Member

It's EXACTLY setup like that, hope nothing is broken. It have cost my ass to get all of this setup and it just doesn't do anything. Program change doesn't work either activating/bypassing.

I really don't understand :eeks

17. thiscalltoarms

Dunno man, why don't you try unlocking IA Page 3 and setting those and seeing if that works.

Go into the utilities function of the setup mode (button 5 under while in setup mode), then scroll down to MAX IA PAGE, and change that to 3 pages. Now exit back to midi cc setup.

Set CC15 to midi ch1, cc#102, on= 127, off=000, then save, exit out to the utility menu.

Next back all the way to any old preset, press the edit button to enter Ia mode, and click it again twice to get to what will be labeled IA3. Click footswitch 1 (bottom left button) to trigger cc15 on and off, which in this case would engaging and bypassing your Möbius since it is on channel 1 right?

Let me know if that works / makes sense. I want you to try it how I do it and see if that works before we go any farther.

18. G22

G22 Member

Ok finally found the issue. It was a bad solder on a pin a the midi cable. I've just soldered it and my setup is working at 100%, midi is a breeze really!

Thanks all for your time and support!

19. thiscalltoarms

20. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

:rockin