Help! SLO,Bogner,Engl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Michael Jackson, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Alright here is my dilema... I have a Powerball which I love it is near perfect except the lead tones elave me flat. @ Namm after playing amps I loved the Uberschall. It went from such a brutal rythym to a searing lead with no boost no change just great. The Clean channel though was no where close to the Powerball or the XTC. The XTC is damn near perfect except it is not as heavy as the Uber or Powerball. This leads me to the SLO... I have played one but never really played one... I wonder how that amp fits in the mix... I like my tone brutal heavy but on the bright articulated side like a late 80's thrash sound with more bottom end. I play other styles too but Metal is my forte'. I am willing to run two heads to get my tone just not sure which way I should go (and I also have to consider a CAE 3 with VHT 2150). Any input would be helpful

2. Randy

Randy Member

If you thought the gain channel of the Uber was perfect and are willing to run 2 amps, why not just get the Uber and another amp for clean?

You may want to consider getting the CAE 3+SE (which has fantastic clean tones) and using a looper to switch between it and the Uber's preamp - running both into the Uber power section, thereby eliminating the need for a seperate power amp.

FWIW I thought the clean channel of the Uber was as good or better then the XTC's. Have you tried using an outboard EQ to tweak the Uber's clean tones? I used to run a G-major in the loop of mine and the built in parametric in that was really usefull.

3. No I didn't ahve enough time with it to try that... I have a G Major already so that is an option. The Engl clean and the XTC clean were both better to me but honestly I wasn't digging real deep into the Uber clean...

4. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

I have a Uber and a XTC and I'm with you on the Uber clean [​IMG]

5. shoe

shoe Member

Two Words: Diezel Herbert

6. The Diezel is a killer amp but for me it wasn't better than teh Bogner or Engl... It was right there though just a little behind with the VHT and Framus...

Really the Uber clean is well Uber Clean? :D

7. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

The SLO with the depth mod would do it, too.

I've only heard the Uberschall once, never played one. But it's one of my favorite models on the Vetta. Enough that it makes me wanna try one.

The Mesa Stiletto would work for what you want. It's got really nice clean/crunch, to 80s metal. It doesn't have loads of low end, but plenty for me. With a G-Major in the loop, I get every tone I need, really.

8. Mikey to be honest I loved the idea of the stiletto but it just didn't do it for me :(

9. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

If the Powerball is almost there for you, you might want to try the Savage 120 - it's a little more bright and gritty - definitely more 80's than the Powerball.

10. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Like most Mesas, a store demo won't give you the picture. It requires some volume and pumping speakers before it sounds it's best. It does EVH tones with the best of 'em out there, honest.

11. Had it pretty pumped @ NAMM... It was good just not fully there...

the Savage is an option I just love the SLO and Bogner lead tones... I think I know what I will do I am going to mess with the EQ in the Effects loop on the Powerball and go from there

12. thegame

thegame Member

Hey, are you talking about the VHT deliverance? You mentioned going to NAMM, so if that was the amp you played, how would compare it to the Uber? Did you get enough playing time on the VHT to formulate a thorough opinion?

13. Yeah got plenty of time with the Deliverance... Great amp... Straight forward. Right next to Diezel and after playing a diezel the VHT was better to me IMO... Steve was tweaking it for me so I got the best out fo the amp... I still prefered the UBER though for me which is odd because I love KT88's. IT truly sounds a lot like the Pitbull and you can A/B it with the the Pitbull in the booth I liked the Pitbull better actually but that was just me. All the guys I were with liked the Deliv better..

14. matte

matte Senior Member

Couldn't disagree more on the Uber clean channel. I would posit that the issue in your case is pilot error. What settings did you use?

15. fair enough. I was using everything @ 12 o'clock and it wasn't the best setting to test it and I wasn't really messing with the clean.

16. matte

matte Senior Member

If you still have the Uber, start with Reinhold's recommended settings on the clean channel:
    Volume: 5 o'clock
    Presence: 5 o'clock
    Treble: 5 o'clock
    Middle: 5 o'clock
    Bass: 11 o'clock
    Gain: 3 o'clock

17. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Yup. I'd also recommend the Herbert. I've owned the 2 latest versions of the Uberschall, but still favor the Diezel Herbert as far as heavy highgain amps go. I've played every version of the XTC, but they sound too dark, dull, muddy, and loose to me. Also the XTC's clean channel sounds piss poor IMHO. Nowhere near tight nor articulate enough for my personal taste. The SLO is a great amp, but it's not as heavy/thick sounding as the Uber or Herbert. As for the Engls, after seeing the insides of both the Powerball and Savage (upside down mounted PCBs, silicone epoxy used to secure leads, plastic posts used to secure the PCBs to the chasis, cold solder joints, ribbons cables all over the place, pots mounted directy to multiple mini PCBs- no flying leads), I would never own one due the materials and method in which they are constructed, especially for their asking price.

18. matte

matte Senior Member

You haven't played mine. What I perceived as shortcomings were addressed to my satisfaction. Imagine a 120 watt Shiva Clean channel, an adjustable solo boost and a more open top end response out of the crunch channel. Mark Cameron has earned every bit of his stellar rep.

19. msrecprod

msrecprod Member

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but does anyone have clips of the Cameron modded UBURSCHALL ?????

20. rkstarr

rkstarr Member