Help... soldering/ground questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Hi, the iron is hot and ready to roll but I have a question. I removed the pups and the connections to the output jack (hot and ground) and the ground to the bridge. I believe that ALL of the grounds from the pups, bridge AND output jack where soldered to the back of the volume knob in on large puddle of solder.
    But, when I review the wiring diag I got from Peavey it shows the pups grounded to tone #2, the bridge grounded to tone #1 and the output jack alone grounded to the volume pot.
    Should I stick with how it was setup or rewire according to the diag.
    Any help appreciated.

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

It is probably easier to do it the way it was, but it doesn't matter which way you do it. All pot casings are grounded, anyway (or should be), so any pot casing is a suitable ground.

3. Structo

Structo Member

As long as there is a metal shield on the pickguard all the pots casings are connected.
    But in avoidance of any ground loops I generally solder all grounds to the back of the volume pot (strat & teles).

Having a common grounding point minimises the chance of noise.
    If the guard isn't shielded you should run a wire across the back of all the pots but still connect all ground wires to the back of one pot (volume).

Make sure to get the polarity right on the output jack.
    Ground wire to sleeve of the jack.

4. Gasp100

Hmmm... I connected all the grounds to the back of the volume pot. My soldering skills are horrendous and I swear you need at least 4 hands to be able to solder correctly :0
    It's back together, but I'm getting a really nasty buzz unless my hands are on the guitar strings, the trem bridge or the tuning machines. I never actually removed the connections directly to the output jack. They had some type of connections that were not soldered. I only soldered the grounds of pups, bridge, output jack to the back of the volume pot. Any ideas? I get this same noise (not quite as bad) on my other guitar as well.

5. ECistheBest

ECistheBest Member

buzz that goes away when u touch ur strings indicates a groundloop.

this link: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php
    it states the facts about having a common grounding point (star ground) reduces groundloops.

btw, soldering on the back of a potentiometer requires a really hot iron. it's pretty darn hard. ;) the pot itself acts sort of like a heatsink and releases heat from it's body. kind of how melting solder under humbucker pickups are hard.

6. Gasp100

Great post but that is way beyond my soldering / wiring expertise at this point. Is it possible that my bad soldering technique to the back of the volume pot is to blame? I was hoping I could just try and redo some of the soldering to try and get rid of the ground loops. The link involves capacitors and other stuff that I just don't have on hand.

7. JimLamme

JimLamme Member

I dont think its your bad soldering.

You'll need to try shielding the guitar if its not already shielded. Foil on the pickguard and shielding paint in the cavities.

I had the same problem. But when I painted the cavity with shielding paint the noise was almost gone.

If you read the guitarnuts site, you'll find a very interesting theory about such noise. It says your body produces the noise which your guitar picks up and amplifies. When you touch the strings, you become grounded by the guitar and the noise from your body goes to ground so you dont hear it. Shielding prevents the noise being picked up in the first place by the guitar. Off course you'll have to ground all the shields so you'll have to solder another wire from the painted shielded cavity to the volume pot. Thats the theory.

8. Gasp100

I see. So, could I take apart the rig and ONLY do the foil deal? Basically, skip the star + extra capacitor? To be honest, I want to order a new pickguard anyway which would require me to take everything off. BTW - how do you remove the knobs to be able to take off the pots? Just pop them off with a screw driver?

9. JimLamme

JimLamme Member

Mine initially had the foil on the pickguard but no paint in the cavity. It was noisy. Painted the cavity and it was quiet. You can decide if its worth the while for you to try it.

Have all grounds go to the volume pot will do. Dunno why an extra capacitor would be needed for shielding.

If there isnt a set screw you can just pop the knobs off.