Help! SparkLE + Studio Drummer

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by FiendishFlorist, Mar 25, 2015.

1. FiendishFlorist

FiendishFlorist Member

So, I must admit it: I have always preferred analog and I'm learning my way painfully to computer based solutions... But MIDI, I really can't get my head around it.
    The concept is simple, MIDI is just a means to data, those data contain instructions, those can be used to control samples, parametres and ****. Ok, that in principle is easy but...

So I got a SparkLE because the promo they did for the anniversary was quite attractive...

After messing around with Studio Drummer in Kontakt I managed to get my sounds on sparkLE: great! Except that I wouldn't really know how to map each sound to a pad. Let's say I was happy to get sound out of it.

Two big problems:
    1) when I press a pad on the SparkLE I get sound, it gets lighted, I press it again, no sound, I press it again and I get sound. How do I avoid it to become "muted" every time?? No mention on the manual! :huh

2) if I run Studio Drummer as a plugin into Reaper, tadaaan: the "MIDI" options section just disappears! Poof! Where has it gone? So I couldn't use the SparkLE when Studio Drummer was used as a plug in. Which is very inconvenient, cause Studio Drummer can only be recorded in DAW. :huh
    I thought that maybe the solution is that I need to instruct Reaper to use the SparkLE as its MIDI out, but I'm still learning to use Reaper and I didn't manage to find a way to do that.

Is there any way around these problems?
    Studio Drummer acoustic drums are soooo much better than the Spark 2 Rock Drums.... I don't want to end up using it because MIDI and I are just not good friends.