Help! Strange Blues Junior problems!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by teleking36, Oct 12, 2008.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Member

My dad has a Blues Junior that he's been experiencing problems with lately. It seems specific to G notes only. When he plays the note, I can hear ticking in the back of the amp near the PCB, and then the amp pops and the volume drops out. I've searched around on the Fender Forum (BJ Mafia) and all over Google, but haven't really found anything. People even went to respond to the problem by saying "don't play a G note," which is ridiculous and ignorant.

FWIW, he just had the amp retubed, and they don't show any signs of failure and/or problems. The speaker is also installed correctly and the input jack is tight and clean.

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Did this happen before the retube? If not try swapping in the old tubes briefly. Strange-only G notes. Wonder if its because of a specific resonance created by a G note? Bob

3. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

Is the PC board tight?

4. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Loose tube socket pins are a major problem with the blues jr and pro jr.The new tubes can have slightly larger pins and the contacts are poor.Take a pin and retention the pins on all the tube sockets,so the tubes fit in tight.
    I get them right from the factory with loose pins.
    They are poor at best.

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I was gonna crack a joke abot G-strings but thought better of it. It sounds like psycho has the answer. Its definitely something mechanical and resonance related. Should be easy to replicate with the chassis off and some poking and prodding.