1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

HELP: Strat Tone Control - Bridge PUP

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ShadowPlay, May 17, 2011.

1. ShadowPlay

ShadowPlay Member

Howdy All:

I can use some help. I want to wire my tone control for my mid pup to work on both the mid and bridge.

I have found several wiring diagrams specifying a jumper, and none seem to match mine.

Can someone tell me how to wire it? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

what kind of fender guitar is this?

that wiring looks stock and untouched, but it's "wrong" for any fender strat i've ever seen.

the tones are tied right to the same lugs as the pickups they control (so all on one side of the switch), and there's a jumper from the bridge pickup connection to the other side of the switch for no reason at all.

the easiest way to get a tone pot on the bridge pickup is to remove the back tone pot wire from the red (middle PU) wire and put it right on the yellow (bridge PU) wire instead. (i prefer this because it also makes the N+M sound brighter, since that setting now has one tone pot on it instead of two.)

to get what you want, you'll have to:

remove both tone pot wires from the switch

remove that pointless jumper wire from the yellow wire and move it to the other end where the volume pot is connected

then, follow the diagrams you've seen, where the pickups are on one side of the switch, the tone pots are on the other, and a jumper wire goes across the switch to connect the two sides.

at that point, you just add a little jumper from the middle tone pot lug to the empty lug next to it to make it work the bridge pickup, too.

3. ShadowPlay

ShadowPlay Member

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

this place is great. awesome post walter.

5. ShadowPlay

ShadowPlay Member

I got it.

Thanks for your help Walter, you're a pro.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member