HELP! strung the High E the wrong way...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by artkingjw, Feb 10, 2012.

1. artkingjw

artkingjw Member

[​IMG]

er yea, luthier guys, is there any problem that might arise from that? i'd really hate to ruin this guitar

so far, about 8 hours in, not visible or audible or feelable side effect.

could this ruin the nut? or the tuning peg?

oh and btw, while restringing, something went wrong with the high E tuning peg. it seems the cap of the peg came off along with a very very small sphere bearing of sorts. it still works (as you can see in the picture) i basically found the indent/hole, put the bearing in, and fitted the cap back on, but its very loose and tends to come off while working with the strings (although not when playing). any words?

thanks guys

2. snouter

snouter Member

Well it is a Les Paul with truss rod adjustment at the headstock which make them inherently more vulnerable to damage than guitars with truss rod adjustment at the bottom of the neck like Warmoth necks. Other than that you are okay. The nut is the most inexpensive item on a guitar even if something went wrong with it and actually a replacement would probably be better than stock. Definitely replace any stock tuner with locking tuners. Significantly better than stock, non-locking tuners.

3. artkingjw

artkingjw Member

well i have grover lockings in place

4. SeicheNZ

SeicheNZ Member

just restring it? probably won't hurt the guitar or nut in any way though, except making you look like a rookie :D

5. artkingjw

artkingjw Member

if i don't need to i won't then, cuz these are Elixirs and for my budget they cost heaps so yea...

6. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

In the time it took you to take a picture and post it on the internet, you could have just re-strung it! ;)

Just loosen the string off, then wind it back on in the right direction, and try to get the "kink" in the string against the post of the tuner when you wind it back on. That way, the string won't be kinked twice, and a little less like to break.

Or, just spend the 80 cents on a new string.

7. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

Education is never cheap...but often worth the expense

8. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Yeah. Looks like you didn't trim the string. Why not just redo it properly?

9. Stevi

Stevi Member

Judging from the way you wound the other strings, I wouldn't worry too much about the high E. Take your time and do all of the strings properly without kinks and gaps. Eventually you will learn how to do it, but the method on the picture just doesn't cut it.

10. aporcelainsky

aporcelainsky Member

to the op: I'd be more worried about the string slipping out of the nut due to it's incorrect alignment, but there's no permanent damage that will come of this.

to the guy concerned about the 3 holed trussrod cover: it's an epiphone, not sure what you're after here :dunno

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  11. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

EPIC FAIL

no, lol. Just take your time and re-do it. The string will be fine. Take a pic of the tuner cap and bearing issue though because i dont know whats up with it...?

12. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

He said nut.

13. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Supporting Member

The guitar will need to be destroyed, it's lost all it's 'mojo.'

14. artkingjw

artkingjw Member

yea well, tis my first restring so...

and when the string goes in and you twist it, it hardens doesn't it? how would u restring it that way??? and wouldn't it be more prone to breaking THEN? (assuming you could straighten it back out)

15. MG90

MG90 Member

Don't worry about the windings. Make sure the kink is after the tuner. I would be able to re-wind it with the kink in the same position on the post, but the winding reversed.

Don't sweat it even if the kink is before the post, the tension will fix it.

16. Bluesrocker99

Bluesrocker99 Member

A top E string is probably the least expensive item on a guitar.

17. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

18. artkingjw

artkingjw Member

ok guys, restring is a sucess, looks ungly but at least now its all in the right place

yes will learn how to restring better next time

phew thanks

19. artkingjw

artkingjw Member

sorry i can't really do that cuz i don't want to aggravate that situation, currently my tuner still works so I'll leave it as it is. btw the bearing is VERY VERY VERY VERY SMALL AND VERY VERYVERY VERYVERYVERY EASY TO LOOSE so another reason why i would not want to open it up again

20. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

It's definitely not going to hurt the guitar. Relax and have a pint and rock out!