• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help: Tap Tempo on Multiple Pedals with same Tap or Midi Source

XeMeme

I'm new to MIDI and I've always wondered how to sync up my pedals with tap features. I'm not sure how to do it. Please help.

Main pedals to be controlled:
Empress Super Delay
Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl MKII
Chase Bliss Gravitas
Chase Bliss Wombtone MKII

Possible Additions:
MG Music Space City
Dr Scientist Cosmichorus

First, Id like to tap control these pedals from one source (for synchronization).

Second, I'd like to control the pedals via MIDI (maybe only possible with Chase Bliss) and synchronize all the pedals.

MIDI will be Ableton + Push

Thanks for your help.

Gibs210

Look into tapestry audio, they have a few ways of accomplishing the tap tempo, the cheapest would be to get a midwife and a normally open tap switch. Not 100% sure it would work that way but it may. The time track is also a good option and more in depth. Disaster area and selah effects make similar products as well. Disaster might be the best option, combine the smart clock with one of their midi controllers and you could control functions of the other pedals as well as tempo.

Last edited:

XeMeme

Thanks. I was originally looking into Disaster Area, but I just got overwhelmed. There are so many, do you know the name of any that might work? Thanks

Squatch57

You should be able to daisy chain all your tap tempo devices, you just have to mod a connection to all the switches
Cusack puts an RCA jack on his boxes for this purpose
You can convert tap to midi clock on some machines like the Eventide Timefactor
Converting midi to tap out might be trickier, you'd need a dedicated box. Maybe Disaster Area etc make one

You'd probably want one with a subdivision switch, so you can vary the taps relative to the midi clock

OverdriveLover

Silver Supporting Member
You need this, email Joel at chaseblissaudio he will help you

http://chaseblissaudio.com/chase-bliss-audio-modified-empress-midibox/
I have this and the midi works great with my chase bliss pedals. My midi control comes from my OC-10 switcher. I dont think this gives me tap tempo though.

One thing to note is that when you go to save your preset on the pedals, and you are holding down both switches, before you send the midi PC#, you cant already be on that same PC#. Thats how it works with mine anyway. So if my preset is going to be a phase on the wombtone mkii, and its "1" then the current program change number on the midi needs to be a different number. Otherwise its like the midi mod box and chase bliss dont see the midi change. It might be related specifically to the OC-10 but it wouldn't save any other way for me.

Black_Label

I could really use some help on this. Thanks!
You'll need the midi box from a Chase Bliss. That will convert the trs signal coming out of your CB pedals so it can be used with a midi connector. Then look at something that sends midi clock - lots of midi switchers can do it. But if you just want to sync tempos, you won't need anything huge with bank selection and presets. Check out the SMARTClock from Disaster area and the Tempode from Molten Voltage. The SMARTClock gives you a display so you can see the exact ms of your tempo. The Tempode has a start/stop switch which allows you to start and stop sending midi clock from the tap pedal. Either will work, depending on what you need.

XeMeme

You should be able to daisy chain all your tap tempo devices, you just have to mod a connection to all the switches
Cusack puts an RCA jack on his boxes for this purpose
You can convert tap to midi clock on some machines like the Eventide Timefactor
Converting midi to tap out might be trickier, you'd need a dedicated box. Maybe Disaster Area etc make one

You'd probably want one with a subdivision switch, so you can vary the taps relative to the midi clock
I have this and the midi works great with my chase bliss pedals. My midi control comes from my OC-10 switcher. I dont think this gives me tap tempo though.

One thing to note is that when you go to save your preset on the pedals, and you are holding down both switches, before you send the midi PC#, you cant already be on that same PC#. Thats how it works with mine anyway. So if my preset is going to be a phase on the wombtone mkii, and its "1" then the current program change number on the midi needs to be a different number. Otherwise its like the midi mod box and chase bliss dont see the midi change. It might be related specifically to the OC-10 but it wouldn't save any other way for me.
You'll need the midi box from a Chase Bliss. That will convert the trs signal coming out of your CB pedals so it can be used with a midi connector. Then look at something that sends midi clock - lots of midi switchers can do it. But if you just want to sync tempos, you won't need anything huge with bank selection and presets. Check out the SMARTClock from Disaster area and the Tempode from Molten Voltage. The SMARTClock gives you a display so you can see the exact ms of your tempo. The Tempode has a start/stop switch which allows you to start and stop sending midi clock from the tap pedal. Either will work, depending on what you need.
Thanks - this is helpful!

XeMeme

Oh and I ordered the Chase Bliss MIDI box yesterday...

I also forgot that I have a Big Sky and I'll either get a Timeline or another delay - so more tempo sync to take control of. Think I'm ordering the MFB Dominion I to make hard sequences to work with outside of ableton.

Last edited:

XeMeme

Hmmm... so I'm looking at these suggestions. There isn't 1 pedal with Tap, MIDI In/Out/Thru, and multiple TRS Outs (for taps)? Maybe with dip switches (seems fitting given the thread) to adjust the voltage for TRS tap.

XeMeme

Yeah, I ordered the MIDI box already. Trying to sort out how to sync up everything else still. Thanks

Gibs210

Found a Tapestry Audio Wife which solves one of the hardest issues to deal with.
I personally use the wife from TA as well, it's in there on my profile pic if you look, great pedal for large tap tempo boards when your trying to save money on a multi port tap tempo system, or if you don't need presets or a display. But I though that with the midibox you had to connect the tap jack ofthe CB pedals to the midibox, so I'm not sure that you have the solution your hoping for. :confused:

Edit:
The midwife might work better as it's a tap to MIDI clock converter, so then you'd connect a tap switch to it, then it to the midibox, but somehow you'd need to get some sort of MIDI controller in there as well, which I believe you could with a disaster area DMC using a TRS to midi able on the expression jack as a MIDI input, but then the midwife might be a little redundant. Not a real MIDI expert here, sorry.

Gibs210

Also the super delay is a little tricky, as it likes a latching source for its tempo, whereas everything else uses momentary, so I think MIDI would be the only way to set the tempo on the super delay, as a traditional tap input would be harder to utilize with multiple pedals of the other style of tap input.

XeMeme

Also the super delay is a little tricky, as it likes a latching source for its tempo, whereas everything else uses momentary, so I think MIDI would be the only way to set the tempo on the super delay, as a traditional tap input would be harder to utilize with multiple pedals of the other style of tap input.
Son of... :brick

I should have known that. I've owned the thing since 2008. Haha, this seemingly simple quest gets more complicated the more answers I get.

I've loved my Empress SD for years, but I might have to buy a Timeline and wait for a Chase Bliss Delay (hopefully that is what the TR is).

And Joel got back to me - he is a really helpful and decent guy.

Trending Topics